Chapter 25

Ava POV

I found myself laughing again at the joke Louis told.

"How do you come up with such good jokes?" I asked out of breath as I set a hand on my chest.

Louis laughed with a smile. "They just come naturally. It's a gift," he answered as he leaned against the table stand. I rolled my eyes, but didn't hold back the smile that crept onto my face.

"So, what other gifts do you have?" I grinned, moving my arms to the table, and leaned closer to him.

He smirked. "Well, I've been told plenty of times that I have a talent for physical activities." He brought his face closer to mine.

"Oh, really?" I raised an eyebrow.

He nodded. "Indeed I have." Louis moved his mouth to my ear and spoke in a low voice. "Maybe I could show you later."

I blushed as he pulled away, and he smirked. I gave him a short glare before I went back to the stand. My shift was almost finished, and then I could go home. I didn't have work after anymore because I quit my second job. It was just too much stress, and also because of...what happened a few nights ago. I don't know how I was going to pay for rent this month, but I would find a way.

I hadn't told Louis yet though. He didn't need to worry about it. After all, it was my responsibility to look after mum and me.

"So, mon amour," Louis began, and I quickly turned around with an unamused look.

"Are you ever going to tell me what that means?" I said rather than asked, but Louis just chuckled.

"Nope, you'll have to find out for yourself." I rolled my eyes, earning a laugh from Louis. "Anyways, mon amour, do you have any plans for tomorrow night?" I stopped mid-step and turned slowly to narrow my eyes at Louis, but it turned out that his hands were more interesting at that moment.

"I can't say I have, but I might depending on what you're about to say," I stated skeptically.

Louis looked away from his hands, but still avoided my gaze and looked off to the side. "Well, my mother has planned for the ball to be held tomorrow at six in the evening." My eyes widened and I dropped the fruit in my hands. Before it fell to the floor, Louis caught it with ease and placed it on the tray beside him.

"She's been planning this for quite some time, princess. I can't ask her to cancel. My parents have been looking forward to meeting you," he quickly said, a slight begging tone in his voice.

"I know that, but I didn't think it would be so soon."

"She's been very eager to meet you," was all Louis said as he looked at me with would could only be described as puppy eyes. My foot tapped lightly on the ground for a few moments before I let out a sigh.

"I don't even have a dress."

Louis perked up and smiled. "You let me worry about that. It'll be at your house before you need to leave. I, unfortunately, cannot escort you to the ball due to my responsibilities with the guests, but I will spend the whole night by your side. I promise," he moved around the stand and stood in front of me. He took my hands and brought them up between our two bodies.

"I would never allow you to be alone around so many people, not without me." I smiled softly at his comforting words and brought our hands up to my lips. I gave the back of one of his hands a kiss and looked up at him.

"Thank you, Louis," I smiled up at him, and he did the same. We just looked into each other's eyes in silence until my phone alarm interrupted. I let go of his hands and reached for my phone, turning off the alarm.

"Shift's over," I stated as I looked at the screen before back at Louis. "Do you want to keep hanging out with me, or do you have something to do?"

"As much as I would love to spend more time with you, mon amour, you have work, remember?" I felt awkward after he spoke and looked down at my hands.

"Yeah..." I mumbled quietly. Louis was quiet for a moment before he put his hand on my chin and lifted it gently to look at him in the eyes. I tried keeping my gaze on his eyes, but I started to fidget in his grip from his intense eye contact, and I looked off to the side.

"There it is," Louis said. "What are you not telling me?" I tilted my head to the side with a sigh.

"I quit my job a few days ago," I explained, looking off to the side.

"There's nothing wrong with that. Why wouldn't you just tell me?"

"I just didn't want to make you concerned or anything like that."

"Well, it's concerning for me if you don't tell me these things," Louis countered, moving my chin to look him in the eyes.

"I'm sorry, Louis. I just thought that it would make you worried."

"Please, darling, don't be afraid to tell me things. We are partners. You know that I will support you in anything, as I know you shall with me." Louis comforted me before he leaned down and gave me a kiss. It started softly before Louis dipped down to deepen the kiss. He let out a small groan of approval when I wrapped my hands around his neck and pulled him closer.

The hood of his jacket slid off and revealed his face. I tried to pull away so he could put it back on, but Louis didn't let me. He just pushed his face closer to mine every time I tried to pull away.

"Louis..." I said, but he just moved down to my neck. "Your hood."

He hummed. "So?"

"So," I let out a jagged breath as he nipped at a spot on my neck. "Somebody could see." Louis let out a sigh and finally pulled away. He pulled the hood over his head with his eyes still on mine.

"I really wish you weren't right in that moment. But I suppose that can wait for another day," he smirked with a wink. I felt the heat rising to my cheeks, but I tried to hide it by turning around. I knew it didn't work when Louis let out a chuckle.

"I apologise, but I will not be able to keep you company this evening." I turned back to him. "My mother wants me to be back home as soon as I can for my suit fitting for the ball tomorrow evening."

"Right," I turned fully to face him, "how am I going to get there?"

Louis just gave me a cheeky grin. "Don't worry, I'll call you just before you need to leave."

"But when? I need time to get ready."

Louis leaned towards me and gave me a chaste kiss on the lips before pulling away and leaving his faces inches from mine. "I'll see you tomorrow, mon amour." And with that, he left.

Great.

* * * * *

I was walking home from Olivia's house a couple of hours later. Liv, Quin and I hang out since we hadn't in a while, but I left before it got dark.

"Mum! I'm home!" I called out as soon as I opened the door, but I got no answer. I made sure I closed and locked the door first before I tried again. "Mum? Are you here?"

Silence.

I crept through the room silently, keeping my ears focused for any noises. But they heard none.

I headed to my mum's room in hopes to find her, and thankfully, I did. She laid in her bed motionlessly, but I could see the rise and fall of her chest. I let out a sigh of relief before closing the door silently and heading to my room.

But what I found was not what I expected.

My room was a mess. Clothes and objects that seemed to have been thrown on the floor. Drawers were thrown open and my desk was scttered with the papers and pens that I had left there. But my eyes were drawn to the window that was opposite the door. The curtains blew as the wind flew through the open window. My heart hammered in my chest as I was frozen on the spot.

What the hell happened here?!