- 26 -

DAVINA LET OUT a heavy sigh, she was meant to redo the spells today

DAVINA LET OUT a heavy sigh, she was meant to redo the spells today. The notice-me-not had withered away and the backup protection was running on low energy. The spells offered her little to nothing relief. She was constantly nervous that someone would break in and find the dark object. The spells were constantly draining at her magic so she didn't perform very well in class, preferring to keep her powerful magic reserve to hiding the diadem. 

She made plans that after her OWLs she'd take Regulus to the cave and make her move. She just couldn't decide whether to do it during the break or during a Hogsmeade trip. She didn't want to leave the Horcrux alone out there by itself in fear that the Dark Lord could get his hands on it, but being in possession of them for so long was eating at her.

She sighed heavily, opening up her dorm curtains but finding that her room was empty. She hurried over, desperately turning stuff over trying to find her trunk and belongings. She stumbled around before hearing loud laughter from the common room. 

She ventured down to find her trunk opened and her stuff strewn around the room. She could see boys grabbing at her underwear and looking through her clothes and girls laughing at the things they found. Although the fact that every part of her was strewn around the room, her main focus was the box containing the Horcrux and nothing else. 

"Ooo, who's this?" Sirius said, wiggling his eyebrows at the photo that was in his hand. Davina growled, yanking the photo. She glanced at it and watched it run. Ron had taken it. It was during her 6th year and it was a moving photo of her running at Harry and throwing herself on him, the pair had fallen to the ground, both with smiles on their face. 

"What the fuck is this?" She hissed, watching as her fellow Gryffindors tugged pieces of her clothes out of her trunk. Sirius let out a nonchalant shrug before gesturing to the scene behind them. She watched as Marlene Mckinnon strolled up to her, a wicked smirk gleaming on her lips.

"Shouldn't leave your shit open like that" she smirked. "Never know where it'll end up"

Davina was about to lunge at the girl but was pulled back by Maisie, who had just appeared and was appalled by the sight before them. 

Marlene just growled back. "Shouldn't call my friends mudblood then." 

Davina didn't know Marlene Mckinnon in her time. She was told from the start that her whole family was wiped out and Peter had been the one to kill her, which she found the saddest. Her father had speculated that the boy had had a crush on her but had no evidence to support such a claim. Still, the story of her death was always the saddest. She couldn't imagine having one of her dearest friends kill her, or knowing that she had been a fool the whole time. 

"Oi Evergreen, wear this for us" A Gryffindor yelled, throwing a pair of lingerie that she had bought for herself as a gift. She wanted to feel beautiful and she felt that wearing beautiful clothes would make her look beautiful. 

"How much does it cost? For a night?" His friends snicked slightly at the comment and Davina felt anger creep up her throat. 

Her lips curled into a snarl but before she could say anything Remus beat her to it. He lunged towards the unsuspecting boy and got all up in his face. 

"Say anything to her, or another woman like that and I'll show you exactly what I can do."

Davina couldn't help but gawk at the boy. Had he not been involved in this prank? Besides that, her heart was filled with warmth at the boys protective front. Harry had done it loads of times but this was different, it wasn't done by someone she knew, but by a boy that owed her nothing. 

"Look what I found everybody" a voice drawled. Davina turned to see Marlene on the table with the most prized possession in her hand. The Horcrux. 

"Give that back Mckinnon" She demanded. If you listened close enough there was hidden desperation in her tone that made her look frantic. 

"Now I'm intrigued" Marlene smirked. She had captured the attention of pretty much everyone in the common room now. She tried to open it but t her avail, it didn't work. Frowning, she tugged desperately at the material but nothing happened. 

Secretly, Davina thanked that most of the spells were holding steady and that none of them had broken. She thanked her magic, which had not failed to protect the evil fumes that were propelling from the Horcrux inside. 

"Give it back" Davina demanded, thrusting her hand out. 

"Why won't it open?" Marlene hissed. "What kind of dark magic are you hiding in here?"

"Try Alohamora" someone from the crowd suggested.

Marlene tried the spell yet it did not work. She continued to wave her wand, trying to think of any spell that may open the box yet only failed. What she did not notice, was that Davina had made her way to her. 

Davina thrust her fist into Marlene's face and watched as the girl toppled over. She reached down and grabbed the box that had fallen, rushing to make sure that it hadn't opened and spilt its content.

She looked to see Lily mothering Marlene and Alice trying her best to calm the infuriated girl. 

Davina looked away from her and swished her hand, summoning all her luggage and placing it back in her trunk. With one last glance at the crowd, she made her way back to her dorm, stashing the luggage and placing a lock on it. She sighed before wiping a hand down her face roughly. 

She couldn't allow this to happen. This was the closest her peers had been to the Horcrux and the amount of anxiety that clawed at her was enough to know that she would never allow for it to happen again. She couldn't imagine what would've happened if the box had opened and hoped it never would. 

She ran her fingers through her hair. She grunted before sliding into her bed covers. The next few days were going to be hard, she could only hope that she would gain some relief when the OWLs were done and the other Horcrux was in her possession. Maybe then she'd find some solace. 

Probably not though, living a life like Davina Black wasn't one of peace.