~ Chapter Eight ~

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

~ Chapter Eight ~

"Both (women and wolves) have been hunted and captured. Even in captivity one can see in their eyes...the longing to run free, and the determination that should the opportunity arise, whoosh, they will be gone."

To The Men Who Wish To Tame Us, Silverfawn

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

Finally she was mine. It was done. My rough fingers instinctively curled tighter around her limp body. My wolf growled. Focus. Our mate was ours, but there was danger. I snarled. We hadn't even finished the mating process. I hadn't even claimed her, fully, as mine.

My head twitched and I let out a low aggressive growl that alerted the approaching wolf to my presence. I relaxed as Ulmer stepped out from the shadows to join me, the body of some unknown girl thrust over his shoulder. I narrowed my eyes as his gaze dropped to Maeve. We stood staring at each other. He bent his head in respect and we walked on towards the school. As we exited the trees I felt my wolf swell with pride. I had caught the Golden Stag...finally. The order of rank was preserved. I was an Adoplphas. I deserved her.

There was a gathering in the middle of the field. Wolves appeared on the outskirts, their defeated prey either stumbling and disorientated or unconscious in their arms. The crowd split as I cut through them to address Maeve's father and the Headmistress.

"What is it?" I cut through the commotion curtly. Alpha Fenris' eyes quickly flitted from my face to his daughter lying in my arms. He nodded in approval before returning to the formalities of the situation.

"Northerners have crossed the border. They have been chased out but there has been a casualty." He informed me. Judging by his detached tone, it wasn't anyone high ranking. Tuck, my Beta in training cut through the crowd to greet me with a respectful bow. He was a year younger than I but loyal and dependable. We had been close friends since we were boys. When we had been young he idolised me and now I had earned his respect. His caramel eyes instantly zoomed in on Maeve but he was smart enough to avert them just as quickly.

"There was a gap in our patrols. They sneaked in unnoticed. They must have known the area. We were only alerted to their presence when we found the victim." His golden skin glowed in the torchlight. Even the shadows under his eyes couldn't hide how disturbed he was.

"Victim?" Tuck looked to the ground.

"A young deer. Alliyah." The name didn't ring a bell. I simply nodded. Tuck's dishevelled mossy hair swept across his eyes as he looked away. Sometimes I forgot how young and volatile he could be.

"Tuck, I entrust you with my mate. Take her to my room. Stay there. Protect her until I return. Understood?" His eyes widened at the string of words. It was difficult, my wolf was howling in protest. It wanted its mate with us, but I had duties and Tuck looked like he was going to throw up. Dumbfounded he approached me with open arms. Disgruntled, with my mood quickly heading south I let him pry her from my arms. Alpha Fenris' eyebrow rose in surprise but he didn't comment upon my decision. Tuck bowed as best he could and quickly disappeared from sight. I watched him fade into the shadows, somehow expecting Maeve to jump from his arms and run back to me. My wolf growled in annoyance.

"We can't send wolves into the woods to bring out the girls. They will run." Ms. Raoul interrupted my hesitant thoughts. My head snapped to take in her bony figure. She seemed remarkably calm. It was not everyday Northerners dared to cross the border. Without sparing Alpha Fenris a glance I assumed the role of acting Alpha.