~ Chapter Twenty-Seven ~

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

~ Chapter Twenty-Six ~

'I loved her softness, her warm human smell,

her dark mane flowing loose.

Sometimes, stirred by rank longing,

laid my muzzle on her thigh.

Her father, faithful keeper, fed me well,

but she came daily with my special bowl

barefoot into my cage, and set it down:

our love feast. We became the talk of the town,

brute king and tender woman, soul to soul

Until today: an icy spectre shearthed in silk,

minced to my side on pointed feet.

I ripped the scented veil from its unreal

head and engorged the painted lips that breathed

out secret names. A ghost has bones and meat!

Come soon, my love, my bride, and share this meal.'

The Lion's Bride, Gwen Harwood

  ------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------  

I bristled. Maicoh's nostrils flared as his eyes narrowed on Faolan. The hum of conversation faded as the pack members sensed the abrupt shift in Maicoh's temperament. The warriors tensed, their bright eyes trained on our prone figures. I pressed my palm against his heaving chest and his quicksilver eyes flickered to mine.

I thought I told you to stay away from him

I winced as his harsh words blazed in my mind. The bond throbbed as I felt his anger unfurl in the pit of my stomach and set my skin on fire. Brien's mate slowly rose to his feet, his fingers twitching at his side as his eyes flickered between Faolan and Maicoh. 

Not here. Not now. 

I insisted. His fingers tightened around a ringlet of my hair possessively. The warriors remained alert as they watched the exchange intently. I rose my hand to meet his, my fingers delicately brushing against his knuckles. He stared fixedly at the golden tendrils locked between his fingers. 

I don't like it Maeve. 

He admitted gruffly as his hand trailed down my neck and fell to his side. Lydia watched us covertly, her eyes marking the obvious hostility between Maicoh and Faolan. 

We can talk about this later.

I soothed as I entwined his fingers with mine. Maicoh rose an eyebrow as he gazed down at our hands. A demure smile danced across my lips as I felt his anger begin to subside. His wolf scowled and circled in agitation before retreating to its dark slumber. A quiet gasp escaped my lips as he gently kissed the back of my hand.