~ Chapter Fourteen ~

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

~ Chapter Fourteen ~

"Didn't I warn you not to?
Didn't I warn you good?
Maybe we couldn't help it
Maybe we never should

Didn't I say it slowly?
Didn't I make it clear?
Is it unfair to ask you?
Why it is you're still here?"

Cut your Teeth, Kyla La Grange

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

The golden moon shone through the shivering arms of the trees, bathing the forest in an eery light. Shadows seemed to ooze from the trees. The breeze was warm and heavy. I frowned as the air seemed to catch in my throat, so thick it felt like I was drinking it. Sweat began to trickle down my neck, my silk nightgown clinging to my shaking body. I averted my eyes from the strange moon and twisted around as I realised I stood inside a circle of branches. The dead remnants of trees were entwined maniacally like distorted bodies clawing at one another in a vain attempt to escape themselves.  I brushed slick strands of hair from my cheeks as I stumbled towards the edge of the circle. It felt like I was moving through quicksand. My breaths grew forced as the air seemed to resist me and I fell to the floor in a heaving mess.

The forest felt dead. I couldn't feel its thumping heartbeat beneath my body. Everything was quiet. I felt my stag begin to bury itself within me, becoming silent. I tried to rekindle it, call it to my aid but it was gone. I looked around frantically as the air seemed to oppress me and it became more and more difficult to breathe. I twitched as an ominous rattling echoed around the woods. I narrowed my eyes into the trees as the hollow chorus sung from around me. I wept as a guttural growl erupted above the raucous. Another wolf joined his brother, then another, and another until the night air became rife with their horrid song. Tears slid down my cheeks as I stared into the emptiness. I whimpered as a pair of golden eyes flashed in the abyss. The forest began to glow as more wolves emerged from its arms, slinking into the clearing, edging towards the circle, towards me.

A scattering of twigs alerted me to a presence behind me and I watched in horror as the morbid creatures began to circle me, eyeing me, their eyes bright with an insatiable hunger. I backed away from them as they prowled around me, their nostrils flaring as they inhaled my scent. I trembled, fishing to prevent the heated tears from streaming down my cheeks. My hair clung to my back as I unlaced my nightgown slightly. I stared up at the moon, gasping for air. The momentary relief of the breeze against my chest quickly faded as I was wrapped in the unbearable heat once more. The wolves drew closer and I cringed as I realised that it was their reeking breath that was suffocating me. The world began to blur, the fiery torches of their eyes seeming to float majestically as they continued to circle me in a patient, hypnotic dance. I lowered myself onto the ground, my legs weak and leaden. The wolves watched stolidly from the edge of the circle, their eyes never leaving their prey. The throbbing heat from their disgusting breath encircled me. I cried pathetically.

Suddenly the wolves stopped.

Maicoh appeared from the tree line. I let out a cry of relief as he strode towards the circle. He stood before me, the only hint of his wolf in his abnormally bright silvery eyes.

"Maicoh." I breathed as I held out a limp arm to him. He stopped at the edge of the circle, his naked body illuminated in the golden light, like he was lit from within. I stared at his stone cold features, his eyes boring into mine. I frowned, my hand dropping to the ground.