~ Chapter Twenty-One ~

* Conan is Maeve's brother and Convel is Maicoh's father. There was some confusion in previous chapters between the names because I had not visited this novel in some time. Thanks to neversometimes this has been remedied.

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

~ Chapter Twenty-One ~

"I know it hurts,
You know, I'd quench that thirst,
I can treat you better than her.
You say you want me,
I say you'll live without it,
Unless you're the only
One who instigates
Got your mouth, open your heart"

Two Weeks, FKA Twigs

------------------ ~☽ ◯ ☾~ ------------------

Nobody dared to breathe. Alpha Adolphas took slow, deliberate steps into the hall, an icy vehemence rolling from his body. Jaren straightened, all laughter falling away from his features as he lowered his eyes to the ground. Alpha Convel Adolphas' cold, unflinching eyes flitted from each corner of the great hall before landing on mine once more. The warriors retreated further into the crowd, a sheen of crimson climbing up their necks. Brien stepped forward but Agatha gently tugged at her waist, causing the girl to hide the concern evident in her eyes. I noticed Iiva's trembling hand rest on Agatha's arm as her faded eyes settled on Alpha Convel's figure with uncanny accuracy.

"To dance with another wolf does great injustice to my son. I'm sure he would not look upon the situation lightly if he were here." I jumped as his guttural voice washed over in the hall, permeating the room with an unbearable power. It was as if the air was thick and heavy with his aura, weighing down on my lungs to the point where it was difficult to breathe. The warriors buckled, falling to the ground with one knee as their instincts commanded their muscles. Jaren grunted, his muscles flinching as the raw energy flooded his body. My Stag curled around my heart, its warm presence calming the erratic beating which flooded my ears. The sheer will of the Alpha, a hot and rampant force which cut through the warriors, could not penetrate me.

"Refusing to dance at the Beltane festival would be a greater injustice to your son, I think." I replied coolly. A murmur of astonishment swept the room. The girls shuffled uncomfortably, but I noticed Brien's lips curl in a secret smile. Alpha Convel blinked, shock barely registering on his features before an icy veneer of detachment hid the moment of vulnerability.

"On the contrary, refusing to dance with my son at the Beltane festival would be a greater injustice to you, Ms. Fenris." He stared down at me, his eyes narrowing ever so slightly. My Stag lowered its head, its antlers gleaming dangerously as it read the threat in Alpha Convel's words. I felt a burst of rebelliousness flourish in my chest, running along my body in waves of provactive heat. My fingers twitched as I found my feet, rising to Alpha Convel's challenge.

"I suppose an injustice to your son is an injustice to me. I am his mate, after all." I reminded him carefully. My Stag bristled as something in the Alpha's countenance changed, revealing contempt in those deep, stormy eyes. His hulking body seemed to ripple as each muscle tensed. He bent till his lips were only centimetres away from my ear.

"I am still the acting Alpha of this pack Ms. Fenris. You can't hide behind Maicoh, he has no power here." He whispered lowly.

"Forgive me Alpha, for Alphress Maeve dancing with Jaren was my idea." Brien's even voice broke the tense silence. Shock ran through Brien's mate as his body went rigid. His eyes shot from the ground in an attempt to catch her eye, but Brien was watching me steadily. Even Agatha removed her hand from the girl's waist, shrinking under Alpha Convel's gaze. I felt my heart swell with pride as she performed a delicate curtsy in the direction of the Alpha. Alpha Convel focused on Brien, his eyes darting between us in suspicion.