•two•

Max

I wasn't sure any paddock walk was going to be worse than the walk from the podium to the Red Bull garage after the Abu Dhabi 2021 GP. I had lost the championship by 6 points, and I was devastated. I had kicked a tower of tires and broken a toe in my fit of rage and the next 72 hours were a complete blur.

However, when I saw her proudly sauntering around with a smile beaming from cheek to cheek I suddenly had something to compare that paddock walk to. I could see the bird tattoo on her collarbone through her fireproofs as the black racing suit was tied around her waist. I wasn't sure what infuriated me more - her being here, or her not making the effort to see me.

I was quickly pulled out of my thoughts by Gianpiero, "We have reduced the downforce on the car, so it should fare better than yesterday." He informed me as he talked me through the qualification systems.

"Ugh, I should hope so, I can't be beaten by that goddam rookie." I snapped as I watched her finish her conversation with Lewis and skip off with George.

The media was already praising their relationship.

•••

"It's looks as if George Russell, and his teammate F2 champion Scarlet Crusoe have an understanding on track. It was a no brainer that now Lewis had retired George would take his spot, but I wasn't expecting was a rookie who was that quick on his tails." Ted Kravitz enthused as he walked through the paddock.

Ant Davidson nodded in agreement. "Yes Ted, Scarlet was 0.002 off of his best lap time, and that was without the DRS advantage. It would seem that after retaining both championships Mercedes are still favourites at this track. Christian and his Red Bull drivers are bound to be wondering what they can do to make a dent into this, with both Max and Daniel in P3 and P4 going into Qualification."

•••

The season long battle with Lewis had taken a lot out of me, but going into this season I was sure I was going to be the one to beat. With Daniel back at Red Bull we were aiming for a 1-2 in the championship and our car was fast. Winter testing had also put us at the front, but from my experience winter testing was to be taken with a pinch of salt. Mercedes had an awful habit of sandbagging, but I hoped to god that the sandbags were out now.

Gianpiero nodded, "Their straight line speed is monster, and Russell is definitely favourite, but our battle will be with Crusoe." He explained, "Even if you qualify behind her, by lap 2 your ahead of her."

I smirked, "I plan on qualifying ahead of her, but she'll spook easy."

He didn't quite know how to take my comment but it didn't matter as we were soon ushered through the paddock and into the garage to finish the preparation for qualification.

I fist pumped Daniel before going into my side of the garage. I was handed my helmet and after stretching I got into my car.

The wasn't my favourite of tracks, but I knew we needed a good result here and ideally we needed to split the Mercedes cars.

I was given the all clear onto the track and followed out Daniel. The game started here.

We were behind the Mercedes which would mean that Daniel could get a slip stream off of Scarlet and then help me out.

•••

"So here we are, first qualifying session of the season and Lando Norris in the McLaren is the first one on a flying lap."

    "It would be good to point out the switch-a-roo with teams this season. Despite having confirmed line ups half way through the 2021 season, if you're new here let us go through the teams. Joining Lando Norris at McLaren is Pierre Gasly after Daniel Ricciardo joined Max Verstappen at Red Bull. Sergio Perez joins Lance Stroll at Aston Martin, with Sebastian Vettel joining Mick Schumacher at the new Haas Audi Team. Alpha Tauri is comprised of Alex Albon and Yuki Tsnoda, Nick Laitifi is joined by rookie Luke Ford, at Alfa Romeo we have Valteri Bottas and Antonio Giovanazi  the line ups to remain the same is Ferrari with Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz and the Alpine of Fernando Alonso and Esteban Ocon."