•three•

Scarlet

"And that is P2, truly exceptional Scarlet, enjoy this one." Bono screamed down the radio as I watched the fire works going off in the sky. "It's Lewis here - great job kiddo. GREAT job." I could feel the emotion in his voice.

If I wasn't currently driving at 120mph I would have taken my hands off the wheel and raised them high. My first race in Formula One, and my first podium.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. IS THIS REAL? DID WE JUST DO THAT?" I screamed with passion. "Thank-you so much to everyone who worked so hard to pull this off, P2 BABY!"

George finished in P1 just over 1.2 seconds ahead of me, and quick on my tails the entire race was Max Verstappen who finished in P3 just over 3 tenths behind me. It had been a fierce battle the entire race, and he had attempted twice and succeeded once to over take me, however I took the position back down the straight a few laps later.

I pulled the car into Parc Ferme and parked behind the P2 bollard. I undid my seatbelt and removed the shell from around me. The crowd was ecelecticaly loud, and full of colour supporting different teams. I was pulling myself out of the car when the hand of George Russell help to pull me out.

Once I had gotten my breath, I embraced George. I could see the flashes from cameras going off amongst the bright lights of the Bahrain International Circuit.

Even from beneath the helmet I was sure the smile on my face was evident. Whilst George went off to prepare for his interview I stayed by my car. Max pulled into P3 position as I walked along the car. I pulled my glove off and ran my fingers along the hot chassis, I looked at the tires and crouched down.

I placed a hand on the right rear tire and gently slapped it. I had done it, this car had done it and together with the hundreds of people who worked this car, we had done it. I had been brought into this team with many expectations on my shoulders. Not many rookie drivers go into a top team, and I don't know of any other drivers who have their seat due to the recommendation of Lewis Hamilton, but P2 on my first outing was a good place to be in.

As I took in the rest of the atmosphere I decided to make my way to the media pen. I put my helmet on the podium and replaced it with my tie dye Mercedes cap. I was then beaconed by Sky Sports.

A microphone was held above my head, and as I had just followed George it had to be lowered. I looked across and saw the friendly face of Jenson Button ready and poised to begin the interview, and with a smile on his face I was glad to start.

"Wow, now that is how you make your F1 entrance? P2, Congratulations Scarlet, I'm sure you'll get to see Toto's reaction on the playback, but that was one hell of a drive." He beamed.

I chuckled, "Yeah...Is this real? I'm still kinda in shock over this." I laughed, "Obviously the start could have been better. Max got the slipstream and was ahead going into turn one." I said analysing my drive. "Happy to finish on the podium, but also looking forward to breaking this drive down with the engineers to see where I can improve."

The crowed roared as the clip of me overtaking Max on the inside of turn 6 lap 21 was shown on the big screen behind me. "That though," I said pointing to the crowed, "That support and enthusiasm for racing egged me on."

Jenson nodded, "This crowd has been great, and a lot of Mercedes and British flags here, so I think they will be pleased with the result." He said. "You say you're going to sit down and analyse this, but surely you are going to be celebrating this win tonight?"

I laughed with a nod, "Oh definitely, I think George and Lewis have already planned something, but I'm a bit of a data nerd, so I want to look at it whilst it's fresh."

He rubbed the back of his neck, "Well you have the right mentor in Lewis, even back at McLaren he was always the last to leave. You and George are both in your first year at Mercedes, but you seem to have both hit the ground running, what's the dynamic like at Mercedes this year?."

I smiled, "George is fantastic, I've known him for a while but he's been so supportive, to be honest the whole team is. There is such a great atmosphere in the team and that is only boosted by having Lewis Hamilton around and I'm lucky that he's working alongside Bono. His mentoring is invaluable not only as an 8th time World Champion, but as a person." I announced as the crowed cheered at the mention of the hero, "Without him I wouldn't even have a seat, he has taken me under his wing and I hope I will soon get a win, but for now, this P2 is for him."

**

I heard a whistle, "Damn Crusoe, looking smoking." The French accent of Pierre Gasly smirked as he approached us at the bar. I looked at George with a deadpan look. I wasn't aware that we had opened up our lowkey celebration to the rest of the paddock.

As I turned my attention back to Pierre I noticed the clan of drivers behind him making their way over to George and I. "I only invited Lando..." He told me firmly and brought his phone up to show his latest messages. "But he really can't keep a secret." George faintly admitted.

Like George, I had known Lando since our karting days but I wasn't as close to him as I had been to George. We just had very different personalities and often we would end up in a heated debate.

I stood up from the velvet bar stool I had been perching on, and I tugged on the hem of my leather mini skirt that has risen up whilst I was sat and flatted out the plain black halter neck body suit I was wearing with it. I had been expecting a casual few drinks with George and Lewis after our team dinner but as I watched half of the paddock approach us I realised that the plans had just changed.

"Hello Pierre, I wasn't made aware that you were joining us tonight?" I said as I kissed both of his cheeks, "But always a pleasure." I smiled.

He smelt of Chanel De Bleu, I particularly loved the notes of sandalwood which were rounded by the bright lemon and grapefruit notes. "Well I wouldn't miss a chance to celebrate one of the best rookie drives in history." Pierre playfully replied before saying hello to George as well.

I looked around the dimly lit bar to see if there a better place for us to congregate as Charles Leclerc tipped his head in greeting, followed by Carlos Sainz who came over and embraced me enthusiastically.

His lips pressed against my cheek, "Mwah." He took held of my hand, "I think we need champagne to celebrate." Carlos announced. "And keep them coming," Lando chimed in as he made his presence.

The bar tender nodded at their requests. Tonight was going to be anything but lowkey, but at least the next race wasn't for another 2 weeks. I excused myself for a moment to go to the bathroom to reapply my lipgloss, and to check my phone without looking rude.

My heeled over-the-knee boots clicked on the marble floor of the bar, it was a lovely aesthetic here and it was even better that it was my hotel so there was no long cab drive home. Whilst I am sure tonight would be fun, I was already feeling tired. It had been a long weekend, and not even the 30 minute nap on Lewis' shoulder in the car rejuvenated me in the slightest.

We had had a lovely team dinner at the hospitality suite at the track and I genuinely felt so welcomed into this team. I was unlocking my phone when I suddenly fell against someone, "Hey watch where you're going." The familiar voice agitatedly remarked.

" The familiar voice agitatedly remarked