•fourteen•

SCARLET

"Head down Scarlet, the move is being investigated. Keep pushing let's keep the gap to Verstappen under 3 seconds." Bono calmly pressed as the blood boiled in my body. I had to quickly focus and regain composure through the closing laps of the Australian GP. "You'll have another chance along the strait." He informed me.

I pushed down on the power as I made it my mission to hunt down Verstappen who had overtaken me on the chicane by forcing us both wide. Prior to that I had led every lap of this GP, I had gotten off very well and dominated my lead.

I had 5 laps to make a difference and I knew that by the time I got back to the straight I should be within DRS distance.

"Max has been instructed to give the place back, he will slow down on the straight. Let's keep this clean." Bono told me. "Strat 7B please Scarlet, George has been informed."
As I approached the straight, I could also see George hot on my tails. Even though I was in DRS distance of Max, who was slowing I dropped my speed ever so slightly. George was in my slip stream and as Max pulled to the left to allow me past George went wide around us both and into the lead.

"That is a really bold move from the Silver Arrows. I wonder if Red Bull are going to protest that move? Max was only meant to give one place back, but he has now in fact lost two places and with only 4 laps to go, once those Mercedes get into clear air, they have already shown how they will disappear into the distance."

Toto came onto the radio to congratulate us for the manoeuvre and to tell me that George had been instructed to let me past as we approached turn 3 on the next lap. This went down smoothly and by lap 57/58 I was confidently in the lead and powering through the field and back makers.
I knew what was about to come up and I chased down the chequered flag. My mind cleared of everything and focused on the next 3 turns. I felt at one with the car, feeling every swerve and moved with the groove of the corners.

"It was almost a lights to flag victory, but she came into the race on P1, and she finishes on the top step. She's been a force to be reckoned with all weekend, it's another Mercedes 1-2... SCARLET CRUSOE WINS THE 2022 AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX."

I screamed down the radio probably deafening Bono on the other end. I slammed my fists against the steering wheel in jubilation and begun my cool down lap before pulling the car into Parc Ferme and into position one.