•seventy-nine•

BREAKING: Championship leader Scarlet Crusoe is out of the British GP after contact with Max Verstappen

By James Carter, 03 July 2022

"Championship leader Scarlet Crusoe and Pole sitter Max Verstappen collided in the chaotic opening lap of the British Grand Prix. The race was red-flagged following the 67G crash with the rookie being rushed to Northampton General Hospital. It took marshals and the medical crew nearly 20 minutes to extract her from the wreckage, whilst her condition is currently unknown it is reported that she was in and out of consciousness once removed from the car.

In her first home GP, Crusoe had gotten the perfect start from P2 to take the lead into turn one after a slow start from the Red Bull driver. The collision occurred going through Copse, which mirrors the infamous crash between title rivals Hamilton and Verstappen in the 2021 British GP which many consider the deciding point in the championship.

F1's governing body said in a statement: "The FIA advises that, following an incident during the FIA Formula 1 British Grand Prix today, 03/07/22, the driver of car #12, Scarlet Crusoe, has been taken to a local hospital for further precautionary checks."

The older brother of Scarlet Crusoe, Milo Crusoe took to social media to condemn the aggression of driver Max Verstappen, citing: "This is just one of many occasions where he has taken the dirty approach, it is a miracle that this crash didn't happen earlier [in the season]."

This would be the third time this season that the Dutch driver has forced wheel to wheel contact in a bid to overtake. He was reprimanded for this in the opening race in Bahrain and received a 5-place grid penalty for his role in the Imola crash with Pierre Gasly.

Verstappen was able to repair the minimal to his car during the Red Flag but after an investigation was found to have been mainly at fault by the stewards for the crash. Mercedes Team Principal has slammed the lenient penalty and has noted that they intend to appeal.

Mercedes teammate George Russell went on to win the British Grand Prix to the delight of the home crowd after overtaking Max Verstappen on lap 37 who lost time due to serving a 10-second stop-go penalty. Fellow Brit, Lando Norris was the surprise addition to the Podium, marking his return to the podium since **

Prior to this race Scarlet Crusoe, whilst a rookie, like her mentor Lewis Hamilton in 2008, had been putting in performances expected from a seasoned F1 driver. He had this to say after the race: "Having been on the receiving end of his [Max Verstappen] aggression in the past, I know exactly how Scarlet would have been feeling. In my opinion, it was her corner to take, and he [citation] was feeling the pressure after his slow start. I'm sure the talks will continue into the night, but for now, we must just hope for a positive outcome for Scarlet."

More to come

MORE HEADLINES:

TOTO: Verstappen is a liability. He doesn't know how to race fairly; he'd rather run you off the track than concede a position as was evident today.

BBC SPORTS

Championship leader rushed to the hospital after crashing out of home GP

Canal+

Lewis Hamilton prodigy might have been the standout star of the season so far, but following her 64G crash – is her season over?

The Telegraph

Christian Horner believes his driver is treated to a different rule book after he collied with rookie Scarlet Crusoe.

Daily Mail UK

Daniel Ricciardo: Max isn't a dirty driver, but he wants to win. Did he cross the line today? I think so – he's going to be feeling awful.

New York Post