Chapter 71

The silence was deafening, grey clouds moved out of the way to shine more light into the darkroom. Everyone waited for their ultimate demise, only to receive... Nothing. After a couple of seconds, they realized that it went just as Near planned it. "We're still alive," Matsuda said, but confused on how he's still alive, but also glad he isn't dead.

"It's been over a minute and... We haven't died!" Matsuda pointed out, the look of pure utter shock is plastered on Light's face. While dreed is plastered on Mikami's face, he wasn't able to do as his "God" commanded. "Didn't I already tell you all that no one is going to die?" Near asked confidently.

"But why?! Why won't they die?! God! I did everything you told me!!" Mikami shouted out. "Rester! Jivany! Take him now!!" Near ordered after noticing that Mikami is freaking out. The two did as ordered, and quickly cuffed him, making Mikami drop the fake notebook.

"Jivany, the notebook please," Near said, as he lifted a hand up to take the notebook. "If you didn't believe me earlier, then see for yourself," Near said, as he showed the names written down on the notebook. Everyone's name is written on the page except Light's name.

Light scowls at the evidence, but then he notices (Y/n)'s name, worsening his scowl, sending Mikami a glare that could kill. "If that weren't enough, Mikami also addressed you as God and said he did what you asked him to" (Y/n) pointed out. "It's settled," Near said, thus bringing the case to a close.

"IT'S A TRAP!!! THIS WHOLE THING IS A SETUP!! THIS IS ALL PART OF NEAR'S PLAN TO FRAME ME!! Isn't it a little odd that no one died after having their names written in the notebook?! THIS PROVES IT'S A TRAP" Light shouted out desperately. His outburst shocked the investigators on how insane Light has gotten.

"It's not a trap... Near said it himself... He modified the notebook, I even assisted him under 24/7 watch" (Y/n) admitted. "My... My Goddess..." Light mumbled out, "no! Y-You... That can't be! T-This is a setup... H-he's blackmailing you (Y/n), isn't he?! I don't even know that guy!" Light announced, only to get a dramatic reaction from Mikami.

"Light, it's too late to deny it, you know Near has won, just a moment ago you were saying 'it looks like I win'. How much more of a confession do we need?" Aizawa asked while placing a hand on Light's shoulder. "Light... Why?" Matsuda asked as he falls to his knees in disbelief.

Mogi walks over to Light, ready to cuff him, hoping Light will go calmly. "Huh?! STOP IT!! AHH!!" Light yelled out, as he ran away from the group, and skid across the floor. He quickly got off the floor and hit the metal shutter, breathing heavily, and looking like a madman.

"Light Yagami... L... Kira... It's over, you've lost the game" Near informed. "(Y-Y/n) come on, help me out here, you can't believe what he told you!" Light encouraged, still in disbelief he lost, and now has his own Goddess against him. "No, Light... I won't help L's murderer..." (Y/n) said honestly.

"Light Yagami, just a moment ago, you proclaimed your victory, expecting us all to die. And to tell the truth, you might've actually won, and I would've lost" Near said honestly. "We ended up doing exactly what you expected us to, and altered the fake notebook in Mikami's possession," Near said, as he started telling Light what happened.

"However, when I said before, that we notified the notebook, I was in face referring to the real notebook as well as the fake. We only switched part of a fake notebook, but as for the real one, we replaced the entire thing" Near informed surprising Light.

"This notebook here is actually the real one," Near said as he took the notebook out of his shirt. "No! IMPOSSIBLE!!" Light exclaimed in disbelief. "We used the same kind of pen that Mikami used, while (Y/n) copied his handwriting perfectly, and made both the inside and outside look exactly alike," Near said while putting the 2 notebooks on the ground to compare them.

"(Y/n) and Jivany were able to do it in a single night. Of course, since I touched the real notebook before coming, I've been able to see the Shinigami as well" Near said while looking straight at Ryuk. "Oh?" Ryuk asked curiously, gaining the investigator's attention.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Shinigami, I'm Near" Near introduced politely. "Hahaha, nice to meet you too, my name is Ryuk" Ryuk introduced back, quite amused by the outcome. 'He can talk to Ryuk... He can see him, so that means... I-I-It must be true...' Light thought in disbelief.

"Some of the edges of this notebook pages are torn, tell me. If someone's name was written on a ripped-off piece of paper, would they still die?" Near questioned the Shinigami. "Oh yeah, of course, they would," Ryuk said without hesitation, as he is not bound to give any lies for Light's sake.

"I thought so... I bet you were able to use that to your advantage. I wonder how many times you deceived us with this, and how many people you killed" Near said while looking at the ground. "Light Yagami, you are Kira" Near pointed out, a fact which is now completely obvious.