Third Chapter

Friday 23rd July
15:07
City Cafe

Gleaming light glistened through the spotless cafe windows, its blinding gaze cast rays of warmth throughout the building. Inside, the sweet smell of freshly baked goods filled the air, as voices of old and young mixed, creating a calming melody. The small cafe was barely busy despite the time of day; only a couple of older adults, sitting in the room's corner and a handful of children, spanned the room

Three weeks had passed since Hayden had lied and said he spent the night at a friends, when he really fell asleep after having sex with Bridgette. During that time, Hayden was forced to attend boring meals with his family, Oilva and her daughters, whose behaviour hadn't improved since they first met.

"You're on a date at one of the most expensive places in the city and you get a Monster energy drink?" Bridgette raised her eyebrows at Hayden, who smirked and lifted his can to his lips.

"Like you said, it's expensive and you're making me pay. So why would I spend my money on an overpriced coffee that I don't even like, when I can go to the shop and get this for £2?" Hayden asked as he took a sip.

"You offered to pay! Don't make me the bad guy!" Bridgette exclaimed, sending Hayden an annoyed look as she desperately tried to cover her giggles.

"I'm pretty sure you said you had no money on you. So I don't really have a choice." Hayden shook his head with a smile on his face, as he lowered the can back on the table.

"You're lucky my parents let me out," Bridgette resorted. Hayden didn't miss the slight edge in her tone.

"I still can't believe you were grounded for a month! That's a little overkill." Hayden rolled his eyes.

"I know. But at least I'm not anymore. I would be so pissed if I was through; I didn't babysit my brat of a sister and her bitchy friends, just for nothing to change!" Bridgette ranted as she released a deep sigh.

"Come on; it couldn't be that bad!" Hayden sent Bridgette a doubtful look.

"Oh, believe me, it is. Don't worry, you'll get to experience it for yourself next week." Bridgette sent Hayden a smug smirk.

"Don't remind me! Going on holiday with one sister is bad enough; now I have to put up with five! At least my dad punishes Kaylee when she's giving one of us a hard time. I doubt Oliva will," Hayden said with a roll of his eyes.

"Come on. It's two weeks in Hawaii, while I'll be stuck here! You'll survive. Just don't talk to them and pretend they don't exist," Bridgette said as she brought the coffee cup to her mouth.

"I'll try... I really didn't think they'd last this long," Hayden admitted gently.

"Your dad and Oliva?" Bridgette questioned, as she took a sip.

"Yep. They made it to six months together. I thought they'd fall apart after me and Kaylee met her. I don't even mind her; it's her kids. I don't want to spend two minutes in the same room as them, let alone two weeks," Hayden complained

"Just do your best to ignore them. Just think, you could have it worse. If you were Kaylee, you would have to share a room with one of them. At least you'll get your own room," Bridgette reasoned as she took another sip of her coffee.

"True, she's so mad about that. I just really don't want to deal with them, though. It would be completely different if Oliva actually disciplined them instead of ignoring it!" A couple of heads turned and gave them weird looks.

"Can you keep your voice down?" Bridgette hissed. "I get it. You hate her. Put yourself in her shoes. She's trying to rase five girls on her own as well as working. At least your dad only had you and Kaylee to rase. I couldn't deal with five kids, let alone having to punish them all! My parents struggle and there's only two of us!" Bridgette shook her head and sent Hayden an annoyed look.