Thirteenth Chapter

Tuesday 2nd December
8:23am
Johnson Household

Hayden had spent the last week after college buying gifts for Faith's tenth birthday. That night, Oliva and her family were coming over to celebrate with a trip out for dinner. Hayden was a lot more pleased than he thought he would be when he stated buying the presents, his original plan of only getting the girl a handful of things were destroyed the previous Saturday when Bridgette had joined him on his shopping trip and had dragged him into almost every shop, where he found a lot more things and spent more than he'd like to admit.

Hayden placed the last of the newly wrapped presents into the empty section of his wardrobe. As soon as he closed the door, Hayden's phone rang.

Hayden quickly walked over towards his desk and picked the device up. With a smile on his face, Hayden accepted the call and put the phone to his ear.

"Hey Babe," Hayden said.

"Hey. I hate to ask you but... Do you mind picking me up and taking me to college? I wouldn't ask, but dad's just got called into work so he can't drop me off at college and the next bus is in forty minutes, so I'd be late," Bridgette said quickly.

"Sure-" Hayden said as he walked over and grabbed his car keys. "What time does your lesson start?" Hayden asked as he walked out of his room and downstairs.

"Ten to nine," Bridgette said nervously as Hayden cast a quick glance at the clock.

"I'll be there in ten," Hayden promised as he opened the door and walked towards his car.

"Thanks Babe." Hayden hung up and unlocked his car before getting in, starting it and driving away.

8:35am
Foster Household

Hayden reached Bridgette's house in ten minutes, just like he promised. As soon as he got there, he quickly sent her a text explaining that he was outside.

A couple of minutes later, Hayden saw Bridgette walk out, lock her door and walk up to his car.

"Hey," Bridgette said as she got in the car. "Thanks again for doing this."

"Anytime." Hayden smiled as he lent over and kissed her.

After Bridgette put on her seatbelt and made sure she'd got everything, Hayden stared at the car again and started driving.

"You're quiet," Hayden commented after ten minutes of silence.

"I just... I didn't sleep well." Bridgette sent him a small smile.

"Could you just not get to sleep?" Hayden asked gently.

"Yeah," Bridgette mumbled. "Look, I'm getting a headache. Can you just shut up? I don't need to answer your questions!" Bridgette spat as she rested her head on her hand.

Hayden gave her a weird look, but nodded.

The rest of the ride was in silence. By the time they reached the college, the silence was almost choking. Hayden drove close to the doors and pulled up close to the curb.

"Thanks," Bridgette mumbled as she undid her seatbelt, grabbed her bag, and got out of the car.

"Bridgette!" Hayden called.

Bridgette turned around with an annoyed look.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" Hayden asked lightly.

"I know. Sorry for snapping at you. I'm just tired." Bridgette smiled.

"Just call me if you want me to pick you up," Hayden said lightly.