Seventh Chapter

Tuesday 3rd August
9:45 am
Hotel pool

Hayden turned the page of his book as the exited screams of young children splashing each other faded into the background. The teen knew that Skylar was one of those children, playing catch with Faith in the shallow end.

"Hayden, look!" Sophia shouted as she shoved Hayden's iPad in front of his face. On the screen was Snowflake, a lot larger than the last time he'd seen her the previous week.

"She's growing up!" Sophia said with a wide grin.

"I know. You're doing really well," Hayden complemented as the young girl crawled back over to her sun lounger and continued playing.

"Sophia has spent more time on that iPad than you have in one week," Josh commented as he lay on his sun lounger, with droplets of water falling from his ebony hair.

"You've told me, Dad," Hayden replied snarky.

"Watch your tone Hayden." Josh sent Hayden a warning look, which he ignored.

"What tone? You're the one getting pissed at me for nothing!" Hayden spat. Sophia gasped at Hayden's choice of language.

"You said a bad word." Hayden sent the five-year-old a glare.

"Fuck off," Hayden mumbled, not quietly enough.

"Come with me, Hayden," Josh ordered sternly. "Kaylee. Can you watch Sophia?" Josh asked as he stood up.

"Sure Dad," Kaylee called, she didn't bother to open her eyes, instead she remained sunbathing.

Hayden rolled his eyes and took his time placing his book down, standing up and following his dad.

The pair walked in silence back to the hotel room. When they got there, Josh ordered Hayden to stand in the corner of his room.

Hayden didn't respond and walked away. Ignoring his dad's calls to go back.

When he reached his room, Hayden lay on his bed and thought about his upcoming punishment. The pain in his chest made the idea of giving in slightly appealing.

The teen ignored the pain in his chest, that only increased when he heard footsteps enclosing on him. Knowing his punishment will be made worse, Hayden quickly gave into the agonizing feeling of guilt and placed himself in the corner of his room.

His silent wish for more time increased when he heard the doorknob turning and his father's footsteps getting louder.

Hayden stayed facing the corner as his dad moved around his room.

"Hayden, come here."

Hayden took a deep breath, silently urging himself to obey. After taking a couple of seconds to compose himself, Hayden left the corner and walked over to his dad, who had taken a seat on his bed.

"Sit down." Hayden nodded and sat down next to his dad.

"I am not nieve Hayden. I know you curse when I'm not around. You know I will forgive slip-ups. But that wasn't a slip-up. I get it, you're seventeen, you're not a little kid anymore and I'm not mad that you cursed. I'm more mad that you did it in front of Sophia and your sister," Josh informed patiently.

"I'm sorry. I don't know why I did it. I guess... I just let the stress get to me. I know it's not an excuse but..." Hayden sighed.

"What stress?" Josh asked lightly.

"College is getting a lot harder. I'm putting so much fucking effort into these assignments but, I can't get it right! It doesn't matter how much I revise or how hard I try, it never works! I just can't get good grades and I try so much! I can't even relax, I barely past that last exam Dad, I'm doing so bad. It doesn't help Bridgette's parents are annoying her, so I'm worried about how she's doing! I can't even talk to her 'cause there's no connection!" Hayden ranted with his head in his hands.