Fourth Chapter

Monday 26th July
04:05 am
Johnson Home

Hayden groaned and buried his head back into his pillow as his ridiculous cheery alarm blasted through the room like a gunshot. Despite his attempts to ignore the ear bleeding sound and get back to sleep, Hayden could not cancel out the irritating sound.

"Wake up Hayden!" Hayden groaned as his sister's deafening voice rang through the room as she took to banging on the door after hearing no response. "Dad! Hayden's not getting up!" He heard Kaylee shout.

With a mix of his alarms annoyingly tuned and his unwillingness to spend his holiday uncomfortable, Hayden peeled the gray covers away from his body, which destroyed his cocoon of warmth and allowed the icy breeze to nip at his skin.

A groan of annoyance fell from his cracked lips as Hayden forced his sapphire eyes open and blinked rapidly as they adjusted to introducing light that his ebony curtains did little to prevent.

"I'm awake, Kaylee!" Hayden's sharp tone cut through the silence like a knife. Hayden silently cursed his alarm as he reached over and ended the aggravating tune.

Having spent a minute enjoying the silence, Hayden peeled the gray covers off of his lithe body and felt his blood turn to ice as the iced invaded his body and nipped at his exposed skin.

Knowing if he stayed in bed any longer, he would fall back asleep, Hayden forced himself out of bed with a yawn.

Hayden then walked over to his closet and pulled out his baggy black hoodie and some joggers before switching to his draws and lazily grabbing some clean boxers and socks. After getting dressed, Hayden grabbed his backpack from beside his desk and started filling it with devices and chargers after unplugging them from the socket. Hayden then grabbed his laptop from his desk and added that to his bag.

Hayden then grabbed the book his mum gave him from its drawer and then grabbed his current book from the nightstand and slipped them both into his bag. He then walked over to his bookcase hanging on the wall to retrieve the sequel to his current book and split it beside the others.

Hayden then zipped his backpack back up and grabbed his phone from his nightstand and slipped it into the pocket of his joggers and subconsciously moved his hoodie to cover the device.

The seventeen-year-old then lifted his backpack onto his shoulder before he walked over to his curtains and pulled them open. Then he did the same with his window. He then cast a longing gaze back to his unmade bed, before walking out and grabbing his suitcase as he passed.

"What took you so long?" Josh asked half-serious, sending Hayden a soft smile as he walked into the hallway.

"I had to finish packing," Hayden said sharply with a glare as he rested his shoulder against the wall with his suitcase beside him.

"Don't you use that tone with me!" Josh's bright smile was quickly replaced with a stoic look as he shot Hayden a deadly glare.

"Sorry... I'm just tired. I had a hard time getting to sleep," Hayden mumbled and rested his head on his hand.

"Just make sure you have a nap on the plane and maybe it would be better if you don't say a lot, alright? I don't want to punish you for being disrespectful or snapping at someone."

"You'll just I'm rude if I don't answer," Hayden said snarky.

"What did I just tell you?" Josh sighed and shook his head. "What I mean is don't start conversations, just answer if you're asked," Josh happened softly.

"I won't," Hayden mumbled, as he closed his eyes.

The pair remained in a comfortable silence, with Hayden concentrating on not falling asleep.