2.4

It was hard to think about things while seeing the sight of Hilltop. Its horizon was always one I thought that would welcome me.

The letter seemed like a weight in my pocket, the last living piece of Carl Grimes.

It was near sunset. Carl and I used to watch the sunset all the time. Now it was just a memory left with sore and tired muscles.

My dad led everyone through the gates of Hilltop with Judith in his arms. I lingered at the back of the group.

People were there waiting for us, Maggie, Enid, Carol. They immediately knew that something was wrong. Rick wasn't with us. Michonne wasn't with us. Or Carl.

Everyone walked past with their heads down, I saw Maggie, looking up with dry tears in my eyes. Jesus followed behind her.

"Lilia..?" Maggie asked and made her way towards me. "What's happened?"

"S-Something..bad.." My voice croaked. "The Saviours came last night..we all hid but, Carl.."

"Is he okay? Where are the others?" She asked.

I shook my head, colour starting to drain from my face. Eyes starting to water and hands shaking again. "Carl's dead." I sobbed out.

Maggie gasped, her eyes widened. She reached out to give me a hug and I gladly melted in it. "How?"

"He got bit...helping someone.." I cried. "He's gone..Mags.."

"I'm so sorry Lilia.." Maggie hugged me with a shocked expression on her face.

Carol then appeared. As soon as she noticed out upset faces she caught on something was wrong. I assumed that the Kingdom's people were also here due to the tents.

"Lilia?" Carol gasped. "Sweetie, what's wrong? Is everyone okay?"

"Not everyone.." Jesus spoke up for me. "Carl.."

I stepped away from Maggie to be hugged by Carol, who squeezed me tightly.

I saw my dad a bit further up and went up to him. I managed to slow myself down before running into his arms, Judith was still perked up on his waist.

I soon looked over back at Maggie to see her comforting Enid who was crying. Our best friend, who was also suddenly grieving.

I stayed outside as the others went inside. I went over and sat beside Enid who was kneeling. She was still crying softly, and when she noticed my presence she went in for a hug. I held her close and sniffled.

"Was it them?" She asked.

"No, he was helping a stranger.." I replied. "He wrote you a letter. Wrote everyone one." I pulled out a letter from my pocket.

"Did he leave you one?" She asked and took hers.

"Yeah, haven't opened it yet." I nodded.

"He was one of my best friends. You guys were my first proper friends." She whispered. "It's just us."

"Don't think like that." I placed my hand on her back. "He'll always be with us."