Michael

Michael walked toward a man on the street, "Excuse me, sorry to bother you I was just wondering if you know where I can find a woman called Elizabeth Gray?"

"Elizabeth Gray? I don't know any Elizabeth Gray. I know a Polly Gray but I wouldn't send my worst enemy to her. I also know a Lola Gray, she's slightly nicer if that is any help?"

Michael nodded, "Yes. Yeah, Lola Gray is great do you know where I can find her?"

"Right over there." The man nodded behind Michael, "Careful with that lot. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. A nice-looking lad like you will get eaten alive by them let me tell you."

Michael turned around and saw Lola walking down the street, "Thank you...I think."

. . . . . . .

Lola was walking down the street when she heard, "Excuse me. Are you Lola Gray?"

"Depends who's asking. If you're a copper then no." Lola said

"Uh...my name's Henry but I think you would know me as Michael. I think...I'm your brother."

Lola stopped walking, turned around and saw Michael behind her, "That's impossible."

Michael shook his head and said, "A man came to see me in my village I think my mother's name is Elizabeth Gray."

"Elizabeth? Did he say that? He said Elizabeth?" Lola asked and Michael nodded, Lola smiled, "Okay...okay, walk with me there are eyes everywhere here."

Michael walked over to Lola's side and offered her his arm, Lola smiled and said, "Gentleman huh? Sure you're a Gray?"

Michael nodded as Lola took his arm, "Yeah I'm sure. Where are we going?"

"We are going to a pub. I need a drink." Lola said

Michael stopped walking and said, "I don't drink and pubs don't allow women to drink on their own."

Lola chuckled and said, "I'm sure we'll be fine."

. . . . . . . .

The pair walked into the pub and the barman saw them, "What are you drinking mate?"

Michael shook his head, "Oh I'm not-"

The barman cut him off, "Then I can't let you..."

He stopped talking when he saw Lola take her coat off and walk in front of Michael, "Can't let us what?"

"Oh sorry, I didn't see you back there." The barman said

Lola nodded as she walked towards the bar, "What are you drinking. Is what you are supposed to say."

The barman picked up a glass and said, "Of course. What are you drinking?"

"Whiskey on ice," Lola said

She turned around and walked back over to Michael, "There are no seats."

"Oh, there are you just don't see them yet," Lola said as she walked over to a table and the two men that were sitting there moved to the bar.

Lola sat down and looked at Michael, "See?"

Michael sat down and said, "How did you get them to do that?"

The barman walked over to Lola and put her glass down on the table as she said, "One of my...our cousin's favourite phrases if it's not on the house the house burns he runs a business if they want his stock they have to be nice to the family. Now let me tell you something, this is a pretty big thing to be lying about so if you are...lying...then I suggest you walk out this door right now and never come back to Birmingham before I do something I will regret."

Michael shook his head and said, "I'm not lying I swear...that's him, that's the guy who came to find me."

Lola turned around and saw Tommy at the bar, "Tommy? He did this?"

Tommy turned around, saw them and walked over to them, "Oh so I see you two have met."

"You do have a heart shocking, does mum know?" Lola asked

Tommy shook his head, "Not that he's here. I didn't even know. Nice to see you again Michael."

Michael nodded, "Yeah."

"Don't give me that, you know everything. Oh and for the love of God give Isiah something to do he's panicking more than usual now. If he could lock me in the house he would." Lola said, she stood up and hugged him, "Don't you dare tell mum about any of this, that's our job."

Tommy pulled away and nodded, "I'll give Isiah some things to do."

Lola nodded as she sat back down, "Enjoy." Tommy said as he walked away

Michael looked at Lola, "What was that?"

"Uh...I'm pregnant." Lola said

Michael smiled, "Congratulations...so you're married?"

Lola shook her head, "Almost. He proposed just haven't got to that stage yet."

"Can I ask you something?" Michael asked

Lola nodded, "Now I know you're telling the truth you can ask me whatever you want."

"Our mum...what is she like, I don't remember much," Michael said

"Our mum, now that sounds strange. Well, let's see she's...you know I'm beginning to think that woman is immortal nothing can take her down. She's fucking terrifying to people who annoy her, she doesn't look it but is very maternal. I can take you to see her if you want?" Lola asked

Michael nodded, "Can you? I mean does she want to see me?"

Lola drank some of her drink then stood up, "Yes Michael, yes she wants to see you. Shall we?"

Michael paused before he picked up Lola's drink and finished it, "Now I am?"

Lola smiled, "Now I'm convinced." 

. . . . . . . .

"You know I was planning on coming down to Sheffield. Tommy gave me your address I didn't know if you wanted to see us, I guess you answered my question yourself." Lola said as she and Michael were walking down the street 

Michael was holding Lola's arm as he said, "I don't remember much but I remember you I know I do. It can't have been a dream." 

"Right here. Number 17." Lola said as they stopped outside the house, "I left my keys at the pub last night. For the record. I remember you too." 

Lola looked at the street and saw Polly walking towards them, in the same clothes as the previous night, "Oh dear god." 

Polly stopped in front of them, "Lola? What is this?" 

"I'm looking for someone called Elizabeth Gray. I came last night but there was nobody here. So I waited. Then I met Lola." Michael said 

Polly looked at him and asked, "What do you want with Elizabeth Gray?" 

"I think she might be my mother," Michael said 

Polly looked at Lola and she nodded. Polly dropped her keys 

Thank you for reading 

THEY'VE MET Y'ALL!!! 

Comment and Vote