Keep My Heart- 34

"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other, or ever so similar before-hand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."

-Jane Austen

Hey guys! If you got a random fan from me, it's because you commented or voted on this story in the past! I'm just showing a bit of my appreciation for your support. It means a lot to me, because in the beginning, I wasn't sure if this story would get  lot of reads or not. Well, I'm over 6,000 now, and that's all because of YOU. I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you, even the ones I didn't dedicate to. 

Also, don't forget to hit the vote button on your way out! Leave a comment and tell me what you think!

The doctor's visit was absolutely morbid.

Olivia had never been so embarrassed in her entire life. Her cheeks were red as the young man washed his hands in the basin, and rolled his sleeves down. Smoothing her skirts, she looked down, swallowing. She was certain that her face must be flamingly pink from the embarrassment. 

But, she had needed him to come. 

Walking through the hallway, she had been filled with fear as a sharp pain racked her stomach. It had continued, frightening her so much that she had called for the servants to bring a doctor. She had started crying, fearful that she was miscarrying. 

Alas, she had not. Doctor Spurlock had come, and reassured her. 

He was a nice man, she assumed he was in his middle thirties. He smiled brightly at her when she told him her fear.

"I am assuming, Mrs. Hawke, that this is indeed your first pregnancy?"

"Yes," she replied shyly, wondering why he had smiled at her. "Am I...am I losing my baby?"

"No." His answer was short, as he had her lie down. He continued with his examination, and when he was finished, he told her, no, she was not miscarrying.

"It is common for such pains, Madame. However, seeing as you have never done this before, it is expected for you to be cautious." He smiled. "Congratulations. You're pregnant."

The bluntness of his statement embarrassed her further. Despite the fact that she had told Emerson in such a way, it was different to hear it in such open honesty from a complete stranger. She even considered this doctor to be a little brusque. Even rude. 

"How long, until I-"

"You are beyond the point of miscarriage, I believe. There is no reason to worry on it. Your child will most likely be born healthy and screaming near the end of September, perhaps to the middle of October." 

"It is terribly silly of me to ask," she said after he told her this, "but...but my husband is absent, you see...and if I should die-"

"You won't die," he said. "Your hips are perfect for childbearing."

"You cannot be so certain."

"I can be," replied the young doctor. He smiled brightly, eyes glimmering with good natured jokingness. "I've never seen a pelvis so perfect for childbirth, Madame."

The way he smiled...it reminded her of her husband. Then, in a moment of staring at him, and wanting Adam so badly...she began to cry. There, in front of him, and she was even more embarrassed.