Keep My Heart- 22

"In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be suppressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I love and admire you."

Hello, oh most wonderful readers. Who can supply an answer as to which fictional character uttered these immortal words? :) Happy reading!

The heat of the island bade nasty, salty perspiration to roll down Olivia's face and neck. So profusely, in fact, that in the greenery of the jungle, she hastily unlooped the buttons on her gown and allowed the frivolity to snake to the ground carelessly. She stood in her shift and pettycoat, satin slippers peaking out from under the flimsy white garments. A minute later, the dress was flung over a tree limb, along with her shawl and she set turned, facing where her husband was erecting a sort of hut.

"Are you not simply dying from this wretched heat?" she blurted out at once, using a limp hand to fan herself.

"Used to it," he grunted, positioning a very large limb into place. "Olivia, why don't you try and find some fruit to eat? We haven't eaten yet and fasting does not hold up well in the heat."

For the first time upon their arrival to this deserted island, she noticed the low gnawing in her stomach and spun on her heels. "Are there any poisonous-"

"Don't eat anything until you bring it to me first." His tone was dismissal, and she felt a twinge of irritation mixed with a bit of resentment at his voice. However, swallowing, she softened and realized the myriad of raging emotions that were storming inside of him.

"I shall eat everything in sight," she muttered to herself, but Adam heard it and he snorted goodnaturedly.

"Do be cautious," he called after her, and noticed her state of undress. Her shift and petticoats were loose on her, trailing behind like wisps of smoke after her steps. He watched, her measured steps across the jungle floor, occasionally batting at the bugs that were undoubtedly buzzing all about her face. Adam grinned, and set about his work.

His wife was several feet away, having located the colorful, ripe fruit trees, each piece hanging, ready to fall. The bright colors summoned memories of the Christmas trees she had seen in London with Rashleigh, and summoned more thoughts of her first and only Christmas at Hawke's Vale. For once, her dearly beloved husband had been present, home for two weeks. He had returned from South America, bearing spices and jewelery among his trade.

That had been an enjoyable evening. True, it had been the two of them only, and few words had been exchanged. Outside it had been snowing and frosty, but in the haven that was Hawke's Vale, they had been quite cozy.

Olivia hummed as she selected the fruits that she was tall enough to reach. There was still the disbelief that the happenings of the day had occurred- in reality. Earlier, she had planned on being a sweet wife, and bringing her husband breakfast. She had been clad in a white morning gown, her hair had been immaculate and Adam had been snoring.

But...her heart caught, and she cradled the rainbow of colors as if they were a newborn. Adam said that they might not be here, on this island, very long. Someone was bound to come along. But when? her heart cried. How long would it take, how many days, how many weeks, how many months? She was confident that they would not be stranded for years.

Even so, she was fearful as she crept back to the clearing that their shelter was growing in. Her gratitude and joy were because of Adam's welfare. At least he was here with her. She had said it herself.  

Perspiration glittered from his face and neck, and he set the limbs close to each other. It was only a lean-to, set up a bit of a boulder that leapt into the tropical sky with jagged rebellion. The rustle of palm leaves was the completetion of the shelter, where her husband had placed them over the slanting wall to keep rain that would undubidably come, out. A sea breeze ruffled her white skirts around her and she watched him for a long moment as he stood back and analyzed the fruit of his labor.