Keep My Heart- 13

The heart of the problem, is the problem of the heart.

-Anonymous

Almost two weeks later, Adam was decievingly calm as his wife stepped onto the Sun Goddess, for on the inside, he was excited. He had anticipated this for two weeks, and he was nervous as to whether or not she would enjoy herself. It was a long week's journey to Tortuga, located down in the Carribean Islands, on what made up the island of Haiti.

He was right at her side as she surveyed the fine vessel, with his crew. Each man was mostly clean and they all greeted her politely upon notice of her presence. "It is a very beautiful ship," she said, and smiled brightly at him.

"I hope you enjoy your stay," he laughed. "Let us get your things all put away and situated before we leave the harbor."

"I will be staying with you in the Captain's Quarters, I assume," she said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Yes, unless you would rather have your own room." There was one available, though it was not quite as nice and he had thought spending time together would be nice.

In her splendid little hat, she turned to him, cheeks pink like roses, eyes glimmering like serene blue pools. "I would rather stay with you. I would feel more secure, knowing that a wise mariner is near to me."

He exhaled from his nose, as he smiled a wistful smile. "Let's go put your things away, Olivia."

A few minutes later, he had led her to the back of the halls, to his private chamber. It was precisely as he had left it: neat. Everything had it's place and everything was in it's place. He kept all of his things put away and secured in case of a large wave.

The room was spacious but not too big. It was a comfortable size with a comfortable looking bed, made up with a plain cream colored coverlet. It was obviously handspun and made of natural fibers, and the pillows were also covered with this. The bed was situated underneath a small window that allowed a certain amount of light in, of course, unless the curtains were drawn.

Wooden planks made up the floors, and the walls were the same. Beside the bed was a small rag rug. The colors were a stark contrast from the lack of color on the bedding, and Olivia suspected he had acquired it somewhere like Mexico. On the far wall there was an armoire type thing, but it was built into the wall. She supposed it was to keep things from spilling out.

Beside the door was a writing desk, with papers stacked immaculately under various weights. That was where he added up the figures of his business and such.

"What do you think?" he asked, sitting her trunk down with a thump on the organic, wood floor.

"Very nice. Cozy and clean, exceeding my expectations."

He closed the door to offer some privacy. "That is what a captain likes to hear."

"I'm thrilled to have pleased you, Captain Hawke." With this and a teasing grin, she took the pin from her bonnet and removed it. "It is a pity that Constance gets so seasick."

"Yes, a pity." But Adam was glad that Constance was not in attendance. Without her, he and Olivia had more time together. And he wanted every minute with her he could get. However, he would not forget his duties as a captain simply because his wife was present. If anything, he would make certain to exhibit to her what type of captain he was.

"Adam," she said all of a sudden.

"Yes?" He was scooting her trunk to the closet, to put her things away.

"Have you ever had women in here?"

He was immediately shaken by her question. It did not sounds jealous and he knew she was probably just asking. So he gave her the truth.