Keep My Heart- 24

"Happiness is the secret to all beauty; there is no beauty that is attractive without happiness."

-Christian Dior

Oh, best beloved readers, get ready for a roller coaster of a tale. For this one is sure to have you reeling. Until the very. last. page.

Please remember to vote/comment! :D

The man who stood on the beach wore dark breeches and the insignia of the navy of Great Britain. His boots were tall, to the knee, and glittered with small drops of ocean water. He looked on the gentleman and lady, shaded by a tropical tree, together and with a tight lip, assumed that they were married. The gentleman stood, and was easily half a head over the rather shocked Leutenant Harplin.

"Pray tell, sir, how you and this lady came to be here?" he asked with brusque sharpness.

"I owned a private ship," Adam Hawke replied. "We were marooned here nine days ago."

"You are American then?" The man drew himself up, eyeing Adam with wordless disdain.

"I am, but my wife-" He notioned to Olivia, who was now standing beneath the tree. "She is English."

The man nodded towards the Mrs. with cold civility, eyes fluttering over her face for only half a second. "You are then, in need of assistance?"

"Yes, sir, I find that we are quite helpless. My wife and I would greatly appreciate if you permitted us passage." Olivia smiled as invitingly and as coyly as possible behind Adam, praying and hoping to God that this man was merciful and would help them.

"I trust you understand and are aware of the conflict," the man said.

"Conflict," Adam repeated.

"June 19th, eighteen hundred and twelve," the man said as if reading a script, "Mr. James Madison, president of the United States of America, declared war against Great Britain."

"War?" Olivia cried, and took a brave step forward. "Surely not..."

"Indeed, Madam. War."

"I understand you must have some reservations, assisting an American in the midst of a war," Adam said, disregarding Olivia's shock.

"Of course you understand this. Commodore Kingsleigh is the one to make such a decision, sir, I am not the man to plead with."

Olivia stood close to her husband and was excited but very afraid. A war. What should happen if they were caught in combat? She was bold and took her husband's hand. He was so dear and he loved her. All at once she felt so joyous and complete but she was without security. It was a delicious type of insecurity...not that frightening kind she had had when with Rashleigh.

"Come, and we shall discuss this matter with the Commodore."

Adam squeezed her small hand. "Do you need your hat?"

"Yes, I shall go and fetch it," she answered, and smiled at him.

"Allow me, Mrs. Hawke," he said, and loosened her hand from his. He took a step away, then cast a tender glance over his shoulder.

Then he disappeared into the greenery of the jungle to fetch their things. Olivia cast her eyes out to the ocean, unthinking of the man standing on the beach a few yards away. She locked her stare at the glimmering, shattered blue of the water, and considered her fortune and blessing.

"I assume your marriage is new," the man said, in attempt to make polite conversation.

"Not at all," she answered readily, and laughed. "Mr. Hawke and I have been married for two years."