Keep My Heart- 20

"Somewhere there's someone who dreams about your smile and finds in your presence that life is worthwhile. So when you are lonely, remember it's true: Somebody somewhere is thinking of you."

- Pamela Daranjo

Hello, darlings, please vote and comment! :)

The resplendence of the morning was as breath taking as ever. The sun came up like a child opening their eyes and danced across the sky like an energetic ballerina. It reminded Adam every time of why he had titled his ship as the Sun Goddess. Everyday, the beautiful, dazzling sun reminded him that even if things were not good today, they might be tomorrow. He had adopted that hopeful phrase in the baleful days of his not so childhood.

But on this morning, in the stunningly brilliant picture of the sunrise, Adam Hawke was snoring. Loudly, too. Olivia was awake, had been awake since half past six. Silently, she was watching the sunrise and her husband. The things he had said to her last night lingered sweetly in her thoughts. Even though she had slept fitfully, she was glad that he had slept well. He needed it.

After seven, she had decided to dress herself and brush her teeth. Her hair remained loose. She had brushed it, listening to the gentle crackle of releasing knots. Everything she had done, she had done silently and as gracefully as possible. Adam was so precious in his sleep and she wanted him to be well rested in Port-de-Paix. Poor Emerson, he had seemed kind enough but now his life was over. It was strange to her, that someone who was living one moment, was dead the next.

However, Adam was correct. There was something odd about the death of Emerson. Of course, sin and crime were over the top in Tortuga, for there was no law. But surely murder was not excusable? Even if it was an accident, one always paid for the loss. She shared her husband's suspicion that his crew held more information than they conveyed. As Olivia considered this black thought, she shuddered.

After her shudder came the gentle rumbling of her stomach. She was very hungry.

It would be safe to go and see if breakfast was being made, and if it was, she could bring some to Adam. Strangely, she had earned her sea legs and was able to walk without stumbling too much. He would be proud of that, if she had a small task done for him. Quickly, she stole a glance at him, snoring, sleeping peacefully, and made up her mind to go and get breakfast.

She stood from the chair, watching him as she moved and clutched the door handle. Hopefully, the door would not make a sound and neither would she. Waking him would ruin her nice little plan. Olivia slowly pulled it open and was pleased when it did not squeak, nor did it creak.

Feeling quite accomplished, she took a cautious, measured step into the hall, and brought the door to it's hinges. For an agonizing minute, she waited. From the other side, there was no sound. He was still asleep.

Olivia then slid down the wall to the door that led to the kitchen. The woody smell was overtaken by the delicious odor of cooking food...perhaps some fresh bread and fruit. But her senses were shaken even more by what she heard on the inside.

"...had to be done, he knew too much. You know he would have told Captain Hawke."

"Jack, I know it had to be done, but Captain knows something. He's smart."

Olivia covered her mouth with her hand in horror. Doubtless, they were speaking of Emerson. But what had he known too much about? Why couldn't Adam know? Fear rang true in her, quickly and all at once. Still, she listened.

"We'll have it today," said one voice. "He's been sound asleep with his prissy little wife all night. He has no idea we aren't Port bound."

Prissy? And why weren't they Port bound? What on earth was going on?