twenty five

BEAUTIFUL MESS

BEAUTIFUL MESS.
chapter twenty five.

Christmas, along with New Years, had came and gone faster than Hunter could recall

Christmas, along with New Years, had came and gone faster than Hunter could recall. She had picked up and extra shift Christmas Day to distract her from the fact that all her immediate family had either left or died. And there was no way in hell she would be around her extended family by herself- last time that happened her and her uncle both ended up in cuffs in a hospital. On the bright side though, Cody had found a way to call her Christmas Day so at least the twins could somewhat be together.

Once again she had spent another Valentine's Day alone- well at least at a cemetery. She was doing better, according to herself. Hunter sat down at her grave or for the first time she felt relaxed, like she could just have a conversation with Lane and it made her feel better. The guilt was still there but it was so much less. The fact that she had told someone really helped her.

Now, in March, the 118 found themselves starring at a shark hanging in a harness off of the ladder truck as they tried to release him back into the water after an accident on the freeway.

Hunter stood next to Buck as they both watched with smiles when the shark was dipped under. "Come on, swim," he whispered.

Hunter shook her head with a smile at the boy. It was adorable how captivated he was with the release. He alone with some others, cheered when they saw the fin poke up out of the water.

It wasn't until back at the station that anything else interesting had happened to her. Bobby had suddenly said, "Hunt, did your mom ever say anything terrible to you growing up?"

Hunter laughed dryly, "what kind of terrible? That I'm worthless? No man will love me? Or that I'm a murderer?"

Her captain tried to hid his shock at her words as the girl just shrugged and sat down, "where's this coming from?"

"Athena's mom-"

"Oh," Hunter sighed, "from what I hear, that lady is terrifying."

"Did you ever forgive your mom for the things she said?"