thirty two

BEAUTIFUL MESS

BEAUTIFUL MESS.
chapter thirty two.

TARINKOT, AFGHANISTAN — 2015

"Oh, Hunter Quinn, my lovely lady," a voice called in a sing-song fashion, causing Hunter to stop in her track and spin around to face the familiar voice with a smile.

Lane and Hunter were both clad in their matching desert tanned cammies as they walked back to their armored vehicles. The woman furrowed her eyebrows as she saw Lane's arm tucked behind his back.

The Callahan slung her rifle over the back of her shoulder as she gave the Dunn her full attention. "For my pretty girl," he said with a smirk as he brought his arm out from behind his back. Hunter let a grin take over her face as she looked at the sunflowers in his hands. Sweetest of the sunflowers, how you're the sun to me— she recalled his words she had heard before countless times.

Commander Holloway patted Lane on the back with a smile as some of the other Marines hooted at the two. Hunter rolled her eyes at Isaac before asking lane, "how the hell did you manage to get-"

"Never ask a magician his secrets," he mumbled with a smile as he brought his lips to hers. Hunter giggled lightly at his antics with a slight blush on her cheeks. Hunter took the flowers from his hands and wrapped her arms around him as she felt herself being lifted off of the ground.

"What is this all about?"

"Oh, darlin, can't I just be in a good mood?" He asked with a sly smirk.

"Normal people, yes. You? No-"

"Hunter Quinn," he fake gasped, "you hurt me."

Hunter rolled her eyes but her smile never left her face. The rest of their unit was still walking towards where they had left their cars but the couple stayed slightly behind.

"I have a question for you, very important," Lane stated while pretending to think, "I'm in dire need of an answer."

"Oh god-"