fifty five

BEAUTIFUL MESSchapter fifty five

BEAUTIFUL MESS
chapter fifty five

"It all looks so romantic till someone has to call 9-1-1," Buck announced as they looked at the hot air balloon from their spot driving in the engine truck

"It all looks so romantic till someone has to call 9-1-1," Buck announced as they looked at the hot air balloon from their spot driving in the engine truck. He noticed the weird look he was receiving from Eddie, "I heard dispatch gets a lot of calls from these things."

"Maddie tell you that?" Eddie asked.

"Uh, no. Someone else," He responded, all knowing what he meant.

Hunter felt it was best to change the topic, she wanted to say it was for Buck's sake but the truth was that Hunter didn't like to think about Abby. "Statistically speaking, hot air balloons are more dangerous than helicopters. More likely to crash and everything."

"Really?" Eddie asked surprised.

"No," Hunter deadpanned, "I made that up. But it sounds true, doesn't it?"

Buck and Eddie both shared a look and shook their heads with a small laugh at the antics of the blonde woman who just shrugged. She would bet money that google would say she's right.

By the time they were able to track the balloon down the mother had joined them in the firetruck. She was a mess, understandably so. "She's dropping hard, Cap," Hunter observed from her seat.

"Yeah, we're not gonna make it before she lands."

"Looks like she's headed for this open field."

"Here she comes! Mom, tell her to hunker down," Bobby said to the mother, hoping she could warn the daughter over the radio, "Okay, let's go," he called out to the 118.

Eddie and Hunter both ran for the same rope, digging their heels into the soft ground as they tried to keep the hot air balloon from taking off again. Both were eliciting grunts of frustration and even with the gloves Hunter could feel the rope prying at the skin of her palms.

"I got her," Buck yelled out, running to the basket as soon as it got close enough to the ground. Hunter watched as he hoisted himself up and into the basket.

"Okay, don't tell him I said this," Hunter began, looking back at Eddie slightly, her grip never faltering, "But that was kinda hot."

Eddie looked at her like she had grown two heads but she just shrugged, it wasn't her fault he had a great nice and worked arms too much in the gym. The Diaz man shook his head with a chuckle, "yeah it would go right to his head."

"Exactly," Hunter agreed as they finally managed to get Sophie out of the basket.

Eddie and Hunter walked over to join their captain. "She's in one piece," Buck told the mother with a breathless grin.

"Thank you all so much," she cried, holding her daughter tight.

Their shift was nothing short of eventful after that all. In fact it took a turn for the worst after the power went out and DWP could only work so fast to restore it. All first responders knew that LA citizens began to panic whenever things weren't functioning as normal. Between a crash that happened right next to their call and a locked freezer incident there wasn't much down time.

With that being said, they had finally gotten the boy out onto the stretcher. Hunter heard the familiar static of her radio as dispatch tried to reach all available units, "All units, police, and fire RA, clear channel two. Switch to Tac Channel 50. Officer on open mic in distress. Needs assistance. 727-L-30 at Studio Self Storage."

Hunter froze as she heard the familiar idea being called by Maddie over her radio, she shared a look with Buck. Both had a wide stretch of panic in their eyes.

"Bobby-"

"Take him to the hospital and everyone else, on the engine, now, let's go," He ordered, worry laced in his voice at the thought of his wife being in danger.

"Cap, they're telling us to switch to Tac 50," Chimney tried to tell him but he wouldn't change the channel. He had to listen, he didn't want to but that was the only way he could support Athena from his spot. They all had a pit sitting in their stomachs as they were forced to her the struggle from the Grant woman. Silence overtook the members of the 118, the drive being short but taking too long all at the same time.

The echo of a gunshot resonated deeply within Hunter. It seemed to shake every one of the firefighters. The lack of communication didn't do much to easy the pain and worry. There was an evident shake to the shoulders and shuddering of her Captains breath.

By the time the engine truck was rolling in they had yet to hear anything but the overwhelming amount of police cars in the parking lot created a hollow pit within Hunter. "Sir, the building's not clear. "

Bobby didn't care, he was going to find his wife. Hunter understood, but she wouldn't let him endanger himself. The instinct within her took over as she followed after him. The turnout gear wasn't the only thing weighing heavily. In fact, it wasn't just Hunter that followed her captain who was ready with an ax, they all did.

Hunters hand ghosted over the holster that sat around her waist, shirt untucked for better access, silently glad it wasn't around her ankle tonight. Hunter was ready to hold captain back as he saw the beaten and bloodied man who assaulted his wife. No matter what he deserved, Hunter wouldn't let Bobby end up in jail when Athena needed him.

"Captain Nash, she's here," someone called out, pulling the gun from her hands. Just that one piece there brought some sort of relief to the blonde, knowing that Athena pulled the trigger and not her attacker.

Others passed Hunter as they went to check on Athena. Hunter scoffed, looking down at the now known rapist. "Would be a shame if the next round of RA's took too long," she told him, mocking him as she knelt down to be face to face.

The man spat blood in her face in response, Hunter laughed and whipped it off. She 'accidentally' moved her foot in a manner that harshly grazed his bullet wounded groin, "Sargent Grant seems to have good aim," she laughed at him and his groan of pain, "Do you know what they do to men like you in prison?" she rhetorically asked him, "I won't bother killing you right now because I know they can inflict more pain on you than I ever could," she whispered to him with a smirk, spitting her words.

The detective who had been hovering close enough to watch but too far to hear stepped forward and laid a hand on her shoulder, silently telling her to back up. Hunter began standing up, making sure to hit his would one more time on the way before following after the stretcher that carried a bruised and bloodied Athena.

They all knew she would fight through this. She would be okay.