fifty four

BEAUTIFUL MESSchapter fifty four

BEAUTIFUL MESS
chapter fifty four.

"LAFD," Hunter yelled out while simultaneously banging her hand on her door she passed, making her way through the burning flames of the apartment building

Her search was cut sort by Buck as he tried to gather the attention of his teammates. She quickly followed the rest of them into the smokey apartment to be greeted with a nearly unconscious man on the floor of his bathroom. Hunter had a few mornings like that, minus the level five fire alarm, of course.

"Wait. Gladys," the man tried to breath out with the little energy that his body had left, "Need to get Gladys."

"He's out," Eddie announced as he lost consciousness.

"Gladys? Who's Gladys?" Buck asked, voicing the question they were all wondering.

"Could be a cat or a dog," proposed Eddie.

Hunter backed herself out of the bathroom and took a look around the apartment before calling out, "Gladys, come on buddy," and clicking her tongue.

She didn't help as Bobby and Eddie moved the man to safety, instead she kept moving the furniture while calling out for the supposed animal.

"Calla, we gotta go," Buck tried to tell her from near the door in a yell.

"I'm not leaving a dog," she scoffed glancing back at him, "you need to go."

"Well, I'm not leaving you," he told her, coming next to her to move the couch out of their way. There was the faint sound of a meow that was soon followed with the culprit coming into view. Hunter tried to ignore his words out there was a part of her heart that felt like he cared for her— which it was no secret that he did.

"A dog, huh?" asked Buck with a cocky smirk.

"Shut up and help me grab her," she snapped at him as she bent down to pick the black and white cat up, tucking her into her turnout coat to protect Gladys from the heat of the flames.

Once on the ground and out of the fire she found the older gentleman who had just woken up again, calling out for Gladys. Buck looked over at him, "Don't worry, we got Gladys."