ch. ten

I woke up in a dark room, looking around. Jean wasn't in bed, but instead, he was clothed and sitting at his desk. His head was resting in his hands, almost like he was stressed.

"Jean, you okay?" I yawned, pulling the blanket up to cover my bare chest.

"Yes, Y/N." Jean muttered coldly. I flinched at his tone, frowning.

"You don't sound like it."

Jean just sighs, but doesn't respond back. I climb out of bed, gathering my clothes that were strown to the floor and put them on.

I walked over to him, massaging his shoulders. "Talk to me Jean."

He shrugged my hands off of him, and I backed away, offended. "I don't want to talk."

"Did... did I do something?"

"Did you do something?" he scoffed, shaking his head. "More like you said something."

"What do you mean?" I asked, genuinely confused. "I don't remember us fighting yesterday. What did I say wrong?"

"You said it in your sleep, Y/N."

I swallowed hard, becoming anxious. "Okay," I said hesitantly. "What did I say?"

"Do you have anything to tell me?" Jean finally turned to me, his face stone cold. I could see the hurt in his eyes.

"Jean, I- no. I don't. What is this about?" I sighed.

"Is there something between you and Eren?"

I froze, and Jean rolled his eyes knowingly. "I knew it. I knew it, Y/N. You know what you said last night? You said "I love you, Eren." You said it while in bed with me!"

"Jean, no, it isn't like that. Please listen to me. Seriously."

"I don't want to hear it. We've had this thing going on between us for almost four years. And the entire time, you've always been on and off with me. One day I have all your attention, the next you're distant. Do you know how that feels? I know we said no strings, but damn it Y/N," Jean argued, running a hand through his hair. He stood up and began pacing the room.

I was struck by his words. I was on and off with him, much like Eren was with me. I didn't entirely realize how I had been treating Jean. I defended my actions by using his words, "no strings" against him. "Me and Eren don't... we aren't even friends, Jean. We have nothing going on!"

"Then why did you say that?" Jean looked at me aggressively.

"I... Jean, I don't know. I don't even remember dreaming of him." I lied.

"Another lie," he chuckled dryly.

"I'm not lying Jean. Me and Eren don't have anything going on. We don't get along at all. You know this!"

"Then give me an honest and reasonable explanation!" he yelled, slamming his fist on the desk. I flinched, backing away from him. His eyes softened at my reaction, but he stood his ground.

"I don't have one." I mumbled, looking downwards and away from his tantalizing gaze.

"Get out."

I jerked my head up at him, "No, Jean. Let me say something."

"One minute. Then leave."

I inhaled deeply, and sat down. "I'm gonna need more than a minute."

Jean crossed his arms, but stayed on the other side of the room from me. I took that as my cue to talk, so I did. I spilled my heart out to him, telling him everything that happened, every single detail I could remember. It ended in me bawling my eyes out, Jean holding me closely to him as he whispered reassuring words to me.