Warmth

Elizabeth had tried to remain awake so she could be conscious when Rhys woke up, but it wasn't long before she lost the battle with herself and her heavy eyelids drooped shut. She was overcome by her physical exhaustion and mental turmoil. So her mind carried off into a deep, dark refuge of unconsciousness to recharge. 

The ship had had sensors that aided in climate control within the chamber. Upon sensing Rhys's low body heat, the heating system activated. Rhys and Elizabeth were cocooned together in a warm haven, skin to skin. Both oblivious to all pain, worry, or fear; if only for a moment, they both shared peace and safety. 

Rhys was the first to wake up as his body's temperature rose to normal levels again. His skin returned to it's normal light blue hue, and his eyes fluttered open as he gradually came back to consciousness. He took in his surroundings and noticed he was back on the ship that brought them there. Where was 'there', exactly? What was the last thing I remember? he thought. 

His memories flooded his brain, with the last thing he remembered being gathering an herb with Elizabeth. Elizabeth! He sat bolt upright and the movement caused some ache, but he ignored it. As soon as he did, he spotted Elizabeth lying down next to him, she was completely nude. "What happened?" he whispered, more to himself than to her sleeping form. 

He wanted to wake her, but he noticed some bruises along her body. He had no idea what happened or what caused them. He noticed some on his body as well, but that didn't matter to him now. He remembered they had to get the herb... the herb... the facility. The powerful drug they had given her... this was the antidote! It was all coming back to him now.

 He recalled how they were crossing the ice, then nothing. He couldn't remember anything past that point, except that he was supposed to be taking care of Elizabeth. He never should have let her accompany him. He shook his head angrily.

What happened to Elizabeth and why hadn't I protected her? A flame of rage and pain tore at his heart. I couldn't protect Elizabeth... just like I couldn't protect my mother. Tears stung his eyes at the memory. He felt so powerless and that infuriated him. He had long ago forgiven himself for what happened to his mother, believing nothing he could have done would have saved her. At least that's what his father told him. He had tried to make peace with it. And here he was now, with another woman he loved who needed to rely on him to keep her safe. I must do everything in my power for her. What if she thinks less of me now? What if she no longer trusts me?  If something happens to her, I would not survive it.

As he sat up in bed trying to piece everything together, Elizabeth stirred next to him and woke up as well from her short slumber. She sighed heavily and stretched. "My love..." she said softly, semi consciously. Rhys's heart did a somersault in his chest and he looked at her. Did I imagine it? Did she just call me--?

"My love," she repeated, this time more awake. She covered her chest with the sheets and sat up next to him, sleepily wrapping her arms around him, "Are you ok, my love?" She asked. Rhys was taken aback by how sweet she seemed and wondered if it was the effects of the drugs again. "Y-y-yes, my darling. I feel mostly fine. What happened?" He asked, tilting her chin up to meet her eyes. "Don't you recall? It all happened so fast, but you saved us," she said. 

"I can't remember anything after the fact that we were walking over a frozen stream," he replied. 

"Yes! We were and you were a few steps ahead of me and you suddenly held your hand up for me to stop..." She explained, walking him through the rest of the events that took place on the ice.  "And then you called the ship with your device and that's how we were able to get back here. Once we boarded, you said some commands. I couldn't understand what it was, but we've been flying for five hours now, I think. I'm not sure, though, I dozed off," She finished.