An Hour Alone

Elizabeth allowed Rhys to carry her the rest of the way to his room and this time, since she had her wits about her, she was able to see his room was more spacious than hers. She couldn't help but feel it had been made that way on purpose, perhaps so she would spend more time there. His room featured what looked like a small sofa positioned in front of a glass screen, which she assumed was meant to be a TV. She also spotted a small kitchen in a corner of the room with a simple table and two-chair set up. She was intrigued by the design of the appliances and furniture now that she was viewing them up close and with a clear head. 

"What's that on the wall?" She pointed toward the glass screen in front of the sofa. 

"Oh, that's just a view-screen. We use it for entertainment, communication, and research. It functions sort of like your TVs and computers, but compacted into one device. That one is stationary, but I have a portable one too." He explained, pulling a small clear rectangle out of his pocket and showing it to her. 

"Would you like to view something on it? I can show you how to use it." He offered. 

"Sure," Elizabeth took a seat on the sofa and felt her body sink into the soft cushion. It was comfortable and supported her in all the right places. Rhys took a seat next to her and snapped his fingers. Just like that, the device showed a white screen and he made a few simple hand gestures. Elizabeth watched as the white screen faded and morphed into pictures of peaceful landscapes: waterfalls, the night sky, beaches, lush trees in a forrest, and even different animals. She realized immediately that the pictures were not of Earth locations or species, but of Zulu. The colors, shapes, and sizes of things were alien and unlike anything she might find on Earth, but they still offered a sense of familiarity. 

Along with the pictures, a feminine voice spoke in the Azuli language, presumably describing the images or what they were. Elizabeth watched for a while and Rhys began explaining some of the images to her in English. "That's one of our native species, the tygil. It's a harmless, friendly creature, often kept as a pet. It is known for its white fur and gentle temperament." 

"Oh, that there is in the Ghinolly Mountains. It's a rather dangerous location to visit because of the intense cold and animals that reside there." He continued.

"Have you gone to any of these places yourself?" Elizabeth asked, trying to make polite conversation. 

"Yes, I've been to a few. I used to travel mostly with my father when I was young. After joining the armed forces I did not travel much anymore." There was a hint of sadness in his voice. Elizabeth felt like asking more questions, but was afraid to make him feel uncomfortable. Instead, she asked if he had any refreshments. She was dying for some coffee since she hadn't had any since the last day she was on Earth. 

"Caffeinated beverages are prohibited in the facility. They were deemed a potential risk by the fertility experts. I'm afraid I only have water and juice for you." He offered. 

"Wait, coffee is banned?! How come they gave us alcohol the other night? Isn't that also a risk?" She asked, incredulously. 

Rhys shrugged, "I suppose that was a just a one-time opportunity. We'll have to make due for now, but fret not, I can order imported coffee beans be delivered to our domicile once we are joined." 

Elizabeth's heart skipped a beat, hearing him mention their future marriage and lifestyle, however short-lived. It made her incredibly nervous and she kept wondering what would compel him to do something so selfless for her. Would he really allow her to live with him and not expect anything in return? She doubted it. Judging by his erection during the couples' massage, he was clearly aroused by her. It wasn't crazy to think he would expect something in return, especially since females had been all but wiped out from his planet. She expected he would be very eager to get a release.