Chapter 6 - Without a trace

“Wa wa, wa wa, wa wa!” His thunderous cries echoed throughout the cabin.

It was truly loud! Even their soundproof earphones were unable to block it out completely.

Initially, Lan Xiao was planning to keep one-third of the eggshell, but that baby that was born out of an egg kept crying and shouted himself hoarse. Nan Cheng really couldn’t bear to watch him like that, so she decided to let him eat some more. He stopped crying whenever he was eating.

When there was only one-fifth of the eggshell left, he started crying once again. His cries were loud and clear, just like the standard of a tenor singer.

One-sixth, one-seventh, one-eighth… one-tenth!

Finally, there was only one-tenth of the eggshell left—this was their limit. This wasn’t a decision that Lan Xiao could make on his own; he had to be responsible for the entire team. Hence, he hardened his heart and left the baby to cry.

Nan Cheng understood his decision; they were doing it for the name research after all. Although she kept using her big watery eyes to look at Lan Xiao, she didn’t ask him to let the child continue his meal.

At first, they all thought that this child would stop crying once he gets tired. But who knew that he was truly gifted! He was crying and shouting at the top of his voice but he didn’t stop at all. His voice was very penetrating, and he cried like that for three days and three nights.

Three days ago, the surveillance aircraft had already completed the sweep, but the research team was extremely exhausted. None of them could rest properly with this baby’s cries; whether it was meditation or sleep, none of them even were able to consider it.

The surveillance aircraft had a room that was made specially for them to rest, but the metal door couldn’t block out his voice. Hence, when the plane began its journey back home, they turned on the auto-pilot mode since they were utterly exhausted.

The cries of the baby echoed in Nan Cheng’s head. She took care of this child every single day. The baby cried non-stop and refused to eat or even drink. Nan Cheng was both physically and mentally exhausted because of that.

“Place him inside the protective cover and get some rest. The sound-proofing in the protective cover is slightly better, and it’s very safe inside. He wouldn’t be able to escape.” Lan Xiao’s heart ached as he looked at his lover whose skin had turned pale.

“En.” Nan Cheng really couldn’t take it any longer.

The protective cover had a slightly better effect on isolating the sound of his cries and its overall volume was reduced; everyone was finally able to heave a sigh of relief. Other than the driver, who had to keep himself awake to prevent any problems from arising on their way back, the others entered their world of slumber within just a few seconds.

They were too tired these past few days. In addition, their main job was completed, and they were now more relaxed. Naturally, it was easier for them to sleep. It didn’t take long until everyone was asleep, including Lan Xiao.

“Wa wa wa…” The baby’s cries went on, and those big round eyes of his were filled with grief.

The remaining one-tenth of the eggshell was also placed on the experiment table inside another protective cover. The interior was isolated from the air and was preserved in a vacuum environment at a low temperature to make sure that its quality wouldn’t change. Once they returned to the ancient Spirit Beast research institute, they would use a much larger equipment to perform a more thorough testing and research about their specimen.

Trying to meditate while the baby was crying proved to be quite a challenge since there was a danger of being possessed by the devil. So, Lan Xiao, Nan Cheng, and the rest of the team chose to sleep instead. They fell into a deep sleep and silence pervaded the aircraft—only those faintly discernible cries were still resonant.