VIII - Liar's Bridge

TW: Depression

   I woke in a dream besides him, in the middle of a large throne hall, stone steps leading to a higher platform, three wide church windows in length on the wall at front

It had always been his castle. The one I'd seen from afar, until I offered myself forbidden access. How silly of me to believe I created all of it by myself, with nothing more than my everlasting memories and fantasies.

"You think I'm foolish, don't you?"
Morpheus face could be carved out of stone, not only because it was perfect. "Not at all." He walked up the steps, leading to his throne. But he wouldn't sit. He stood, right before it, unmoving. "I think you're full of dreams. It is my fault alone that you have seen this place as only your creation of impression and mind," He slowed. He didn't search for the right words, I understood. He just thought too much whilst speaking. And during talking, he made his voice remain monotone. Unreachable, yet so close. Yes, that was the word I'd been searching for- Unreachable. Morpheus was unreachable.

"Had I shown you what you were from the beginning, you would've known." He said.
"You thought yourself a mortal. Born in the waking world. Human. And you knew all that was right for your own truth: That you alone dream and create."
Dreams dark eyes went looking for the church windows, their colorful glass pallets switching in place and form frequently. "You thought true what a human would think true." He finally clarified. "But you're no human." He told me I was a dream.
Could be a dream.

He looked over his shoulder, seeing my torn expression.
"I understand." He said then, walking down the stairs. My heart was already beating to its maximum, so when he strode right past me, he was leaving me feeling weirdly disappointed.
"Until I find out why you are, eliminating any given risk, you're staying inside the castle when asleep." I turned for him, staring holes into his back. "What about the gardens? The cemetery? The bridge." He stopped in his tracks, gone still, before turning around as if he'd heard me wrong.
"You want to stay in the cemetery whilst dreaming?" I didn't further get into his phony question, because the first time we'd met there was perfect. The sundown. The replay. The bleeding horizon and swallowing night sky. I wouldn't explain myself on any of those things.

"Don't let me make a promise I can't keep, Morpheus." It may be his world, but it were still my dreams. My own way of living life. Dealing with it. He stared at me now, hearing the obvious defence in my voice. "Lolita," He said my name, softly, pausing for a moment, probably asking himself if he should take the next step.
I shook my head, no, indicating that I didn't want his question. I didn't want it.
I didn't need it. And yet he hit me with it, a full-blown gut punch.

"Why the bridge?"

I felt my stern facade slowly tear apart, forcing me to turn my back on him.
"I don't know what you mean." Liar. Liar. Liar. Lolita, you're a little Liar.
"The bridge. Why do you need the bridge whilst dreaming?" He knew why. He definitely knew. Oh god- My eyes went wide, What if he knew? I looked back at him and felt my face crumble. And I was ashamed that he saw it.

"I just need to jump once in a while." I said, my eyes begging for him to understand. "Just once in a while." Liar. Lolita, you're nothing but a Liar. I jumped off that bridge every time I fell asleep, though I blended it out as best as I could.

Wherever he had to go a moment prior,
he left it behind, facing me.
I saw him lower his face, trying to catch my disconnected eyes. It reminded me of the way he looked at Delirium. I looked everywhere but his face. Everywhere but his face. Don't let his eyes swallow me whole. "Lolita," Once his use of my name felt like a blessing, now it turned into a sin, a curse. "I asked you why." He made me want to wake up again. This was bad. I felt the adrenaline rush through my blood. Morpheus left me feeling devastated.
"Stop now." "Lita-" "Stop it right now."
I snapped. He stilled, aware of my outburst. It was the same moment I accidentally ran my gaze over his, making him catch me in an instance, chaining me into his deep tunnel eyes. It felt like moving into a black hole, being swallowed in one go. And you didn't know what would happen next. You never did.

He took another step towards me. I took another step back, almost hitting my ankles against the stairs. He raised both his hands.
"It's okay." He told me. "Everything is okay. I'll be quiet now, I promise." He took another step, watching me. I didn't move this time. "I'll be quiet." He whispered, making my mouth move downwards, my eyebrows knitting. There was all this weight crashing down on me and I took in a quick, shaky breath, because I couldn't hold it much longer. I couldn't make it stop. "I'll wake up now." I said, my voice thin with panic. Dream nodded, a glint of regret in his eyes.

When I woke, I was already crying.

__________________________________

This was a short but dark chapter to write and I hope my writing didn't make it hard to gather what exactly was happening!
If so, I'll be very open to further explain in the comments! I hope everyone saw the TW I hung up at the beginning, some of you are maybe even used to way WAY worse stuff, but it's a very heavy subject nonetheless.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and gathered a little bit more information on Lolita's struggle with life! ♡

I appreciate you all so much and remember that there is always someone, somewhere, who loves you and listens.
And if you think not, maybe you just haven't met that person yet.

Love, Author ♡

-

Okay, now that I kind of pulled you all down, here's a little picture to cheer you up a bit:

♡Little Siblings Death x Dream♡