X - Neurotica

TW: Gore

   I'd asked my parents to visit me during my waking times for the next few days and as expected, they were insanely content

It was as if I'd given them permission to finally be a part of my life again, even though my life had been in their hands for the last eighteen years I'd been living with them. I also didn't want them to meet Morpheus without warning them in advance- Well, warning was such a negative word. Maybe I should say mentioning.

I knew my parents well enough to be sure that they would not be happy with some tall stranger standing besides to me, a man looking like a shadow come to life.
So I made sure to mention him on our next call. "Mom, please, just listen to me." She talked over me consistently, still excited about the whole invite. "Sweetie, I'll make you anything you want. We could also go out for dinner? Wouldn't it be nice to go eat outside once in a while," "Yes, no, er, actually, we can do that, totally-" I fidgeted with my fingers, trying to get to the point. Before her voice ran across mine once more, I took a deep breath, letting the sentence leave my mouth in a hurry.
"I'll actually bring my colleague." I said.

Silence.

"A what?" I heard my Father say on the other side of the phone, proving that my mother always put our calls on speaker.
"He's, er, just a colleague. From work, you know? Where I translate, form mind-maps, write down bullet points and-" "Sweetie," My mother stopped me, making me press my lips together in anticipation.
"You told us you liked this job because of its flexibility and lack of social ties." My father agreed. "Don't forget her calling social interactions insignificant!"
Did I actually say that? Was I so incredibly bad at simply living?

"I know," Did I? "But I actually got to talk to one of them and we seem to have the same interests." My voice got stuck in my throat. Interests? "Interests?" My mother immediately caught on to my slip-up, catching me inside a trap. "Er, yes, we were walking in the park and talking and all, he's a nice co-worker." My father was now closest to the phone, his voice loud enough to make me distance myself from the speaker. "It's a man!" He practically scolded into my ear without any given reason.

Well, no, not really a man. More like a being. A creator and a destroyer. A master and a servant. A dream and a nightmare.
I missed him. Shaking my head, I was looking around me. I'd cleaned up, in wait for my parents to arrive and tell me they thought I was a human this whole time. They never knew anything about my heritage and they never doubted me, nor the way the took me in and raised me.

"He's a colleague, mom." I said. "Alright. If you say so." She wouldn't stop with the questioning this soon, I knew.
"What's his name then? And how did you meet?" I froze in place. I couldn't tell them his name was Morpheus, last I'd used that name was in a sentence to describe my dream creations to my father.
"Neil, his name is Neil." I spat out, trying to gain control. "We met when I asked him about my bullet points influence on his speech. He liked them. " This was awful.
"Sweetie, me and your father will be there tomorrow. Don't worry, we'll see just how nice he actually is." I sink into a self-pity puddle. Closing the call with goodbyes and kisses, I fell down on my bed, ready to stare against the exact same exact crack on the ceiling. That's when I squinted.