interlude \\ 77

"Kat, wait." I pause just long enough for Alex to catch up to me with his long-legged stride. "Hey, we haven't talked all day."

"I guess, how are you?" I smile at him because I can't help it. My stomach is full of butterflies and my lips tingle wishfully in the memory of his kiss. Cam's kiss.

"I've been... thinking. About you," he says it wryly, his hands fidgeting restlessly with each other.

"Yeah?" No.

"Look, I know we only hung out a few times... I mean, not counting that movie date but... I really like you. You're funny and interesting and sweet, when you forget to be mean." His eyes are bright and earnest; painfully earnest. My stomach churns and I hug my English binder to my chest until the bottom edge digs into my ribs. "Do you... do you like me?"

The song from fiddler on the roof, do you love me? I love you. With our daughter getting married... something, something, something, then do you love me? again, pops into my head and I fight the urge to start singing.

"Look, I just started something with someone. At least, I think we started." I tell him, softly. His shoulders sag with a resigned sigh. "So... I don't think that would be appropriate."

He smiles, a wane smile. "Well... we're still friends, right?"

I stare at him with wide eyes and a slow exhale. This has never happened to me before. I've turn down many, many, many boys, and yet...

"I suppose we can still be friends." I smile at him, and he slugs my shoulder playfully.
***
➰ Shadowhunting fo lyfe ➰

ok so i know you don't comment when cam isn't in the chapter (i noticed, and I get it) but PLEASE comment on this one just what you think or any questions you have... okay thanks bye :*