Chapter 35

TW - blood/fighting

Peter's POV

I felt like my Dad.

Invincible.

Unable to be harmed by the outside world.

I went to school and didn't let anything bother me. It was my first day back in a week and everyone's mind set changed. No one was teasing me or calling me names.

Not even Flash. He had a cast on his right arm and I couldn't hold back smile. Aunt Tasha did that but he was telling everybody it was from football practice.

I was happy. Wade's taking me on a date after school today. He doesn't have a car but he said it's not too far from school.

"Peter? Hellooo," a hand waved back and forth in front of my face, "Earth to Peter! Are you even listening?"

I snapped out of my trance. "Huh? Oh, sorry. What were you saying?"

Harry gave an exasperated sighed. We were sitting at lunch and I had zoned out for the umpteenth time today.

"Like I was saying, you should come over later. My dad has been acting strange and some nights he never comes home," he sounded stressed.

"Oh, I-uh- tonight?" I felt bad. I wanted to be there for him but I really wanted to hang out with Wade.

"Yeah, why?  You got something better to do?" He asked. It came out snappy but I'm sure he didn't mean it that way.

Might as well tell him. "I have a date with Wade," I said looking down at my gummy snacks.

"Oh."

"Yeah."

There was an uncomfortable silence until the bell rang. "You didn't tell your parents," Harry asked even though it sounded more  like a statement. A fact.

I got up from the table following him to the trash can. "You know they'd freak out," I defended.

"They'd freak out even more if they knew you were hiding it," he said.

"Fine," I threw my trash away and we walked out the cafeteria doors, "I'll tell them."

I debated on whether or not to text my parents next period. I'll just tell them when I get home. So what do I tell them now? I'll say I have tutoring. No, that doesn't make sense. I can say that I'm tutoring someone else?

When I finally thought of a good excuse I decided to text Pops.

Me: I'm hanging out with Harry after school.

I hated lying to my parents. Especially Pops, the man of honor and integrity. He texts me back a minute later.

Pops: Okay. Have fun.

I sighed and put my phone away. When the final bell rang I waited at the front of the school for Wade. He walked out of the building wearing faded blue jeans, a red Hollister shirt, and had his book bag slung over his shoulder.

"Hey baby boy," he greeted me and smiled.

"Heyy," I smiled back.

"You hungry?"

"No, I'm okay. Where are we going?" I asked for the twelfth time today. We started walking away from the school and on the streets of New York.

"We're going laser tagging!" He squealed like a little kid. I laughed.