Jealousy

I don't even have an excuse as to why I've been gone this long, it's just absurd at this point :/

Emjoy :)

It's not like Steve was jealous of James Rhodes. He certainly wasn't envious of the way he could just reach out and touch Tony, and in turn watch the man of his interests melt into the hold of the officer. And it certainly didn't make a bitter resentment rise up in his chest when he heard every affectionately insulting nickname that Tony would bestow upon the man. Not at all, and any of these thoughts would be quickly chased away by Steve's good nature. After all, who is he to get jealous over Tony's best friend? One of the people he trusts most? That'd be unfair of him.

"You know, you can just talk to him." Someone spoke up behind him, jostling Steve's hard observation of Tony being crushed lovingly in Rhodey's arms.

"Oh. Hi Bruce. What do you mean?" Steve looked at the scientist, trying to hide his embarrassment of being caught.

"What I mean is, you can go and talk to Tony. About your erm... obvious... infatuation. Unless you enjoy just sitting here, staring at him and his best friend, all lovesick and bitter."

"Oh, it's nothing like that, Dr. Banner. Trust me. Just. Lost in my thoughts, I suppose."

"Whatever you say Captain Rogers. You can deflect and deny all you want, but I'd go for it before someone takes the chance from you. He's a very attractive man with no shortage of demand. And you know that." Bruce said as he parted ways, leaving Steve even more troubled.

Rhodey was finally gone, thank god. He usually only stays a few days, due to him having other business to attend to with the Air Force. Steve always felt bad for breathing easy in his absence, because it's not like he was a bad guy at all, quite the opposite, actually, he just didn't like watching people touch what was his. Or rather, what he wishes was his. Still, ever since that day, Bruce's advice had been echoing in his mind. His words weren't untrue at all, and they'd been keeping Steve up at night. Of course, he wanted to make a move on Tony, but he just didn't know how. He'd said such horrible things to him since they met and highly doubted that Tony would take an interest in someone who'd treated him that way.

"You doing okay Capsicle?" Sometimes the world works in cruel ways, Steve thought to himself as Tony's voice sent a shiver up his spine.

"Of course, Stark- um. Tony. I mean Tony." Steve flushed with embarrassment

"Oh well look who's finally dislodged the stick that was up his ass! I thought you'd never use my name casually, Stevie." Damn him.

"Very amusing, Tony." Steve deadpanned as he rolled his eyes as Tony snickered.

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"Are you doing okay? You've been staring off a lot recently, and I just came in here and found you doing it again." Tony pressed on, concern evident in his voice

"Well I, actually. I had a thing."

"A thing?"

"To ask. I have a thing to ask."

"Okay." Tony looked at him puzzled. "Talk to me then?"

Steve bit the inside of his cheek as he looked down and the brunette who was gazing back up at him, his gorgeous caramel eyes full of curiosity and worry.

"Well. I know you're busy, but I was wondering. Ah. I was hoping, that maybe you'd make the time for me? I mean, to do something, with me."

"Do you need me to fix something for you or...?" Tony asked, with a bit of a smile.

"No!" Steve exclaimed abruptly "No. I mean. Casually? Just you and me? Maybe, I don't know, a... dinner or something? God, I'm sorry, I really have never been good at this stuff."

"Steve Rogers, are you asking me out on a date right now?"

Steve studied Tony's face nervously

"...Yes?"

"Good." Tony snorted and smiled up at Steve sweetly "Because that's what I was coming over here to do anyway. Rhodey told me how you've been staring holes in the back of his head all week long. Although, it couldn't have taken a detective to notice that one." Steve blushed and looked down to the floor

"Hey, I think it's cute!" Tony beamed as he sauntered over to Steve and wrapped his arms around his strong neck "Pick me up at five?"

"What, you're gonna let me drive?" Steve teased, looping his arms around the engineer's waist.

"Oh, I suppose I could relieve Happy. Just this once." he sighed out in mock irritation "So long as you don't drive too recklessly. I'm not as unbreakable as you are."

Steve leaned down to peck a small kiss onto Tony's stubbled cheek

"You'll be lucky if I make it over five miles an hour with such precious cargo next to me."