Happy Birthday Steve

This was originally gonna be a Christmas fic, but then I told myself, 'Wait, it's March. I'm not gonna do that to the readers'.

-Tony's POV-

          Today Steve and Bucky had dragged me along with them to the shelter. Needless to say I didn't really want to go, I mean. I'm not the biggest dog person in the world. I prefer cats, to be honest. But, Bucky was suggested to get a dog by countless Avengers to help out with his PTSD. Why he and Steve needed me, I do not know. Probably just their usual 'Torture Tony by pushing him out of his comfort zone' delimma. As we strolled through the rows of kennels, and I did my best to be helpful and supportive, we passed a golden retriever mother nursing 12 small puppies. Okay so maybe puppies are okay. It only took Steve a matter of time to catch what I was looking at and he fucking melted.

"Oh my God. Tony. Tony, look at them." "Yes, Steve I can s-" "NO. Tony. Look at them! They're so cute!!"

3...

2...

1...

"Tony. Baby. Can we get one?"

Called it.

"Absolutely not. I made the exception for Barnes because he is looking for an old, well-trained, quiet, good, obidient, non-pain-in-the-ass, well-behaved dog. Puppies are one of the worst things to bring into a household. Especially ours. I mean. Clint would help the thing wreak havoc...no wait. The dog would help Clint wreak havoc on the place, Bruce would be too afraid of hurting it to ever bond with it, Thor would turn it into some mighty, Asguardian, war-hound, Natasha would probablty accidentally kill it, and it would probably terrorize said other dog we're in the process of getting."

"Come on Tones! I'll train them really well, you won't even know they're there! Please?"

"I already said no, Steve. And even if, they're just new borns. I couldn't adopt one if I wanted to. One dog is enough for a family of dysfunctional weirdos."

-One Month Later/General POV-

          The team settled in well with Bucky's new saint bernard, Atlas. Just as Tony hoped, she had a very calm deminor. Tony had even spent some time with her on the couch, her head in his lap getting leisurely scratched behind the ears, as he worked on his Stark Pad. Okay, maybe dogs aren't that bad. And whoever said you can't teach an old dog new tricks, has obviously never met Steve Rogers. He was absolutely amazing with Atlas. It's only been a month, and he's already taught her several different tricks. Maybe. Maybe a puppy would be good for Steve. Steve suffers from PTSD himself. Maybe a puppy could help him out. Not to mention the 4th of July, aka, Steve's birthday, is in a few days...

          Tony arrived back at the shelter the next day, presumed by everyone else back home to be in a SI stocks meeting. He retraced his steps from a month earlier back to the kennel that held all the golden retriever pups. When he arrived, there was only one puppy left. The runt, judging by the size. Of course she'd get left behind. She was gorgeous. She was a light golden color and sported ice blue eyes. A very rare trait for a dog of this breed. Her eyes were almost identical to Steve's, in fact. She was perfect.

"Alright girl. Your new owner is having his birthday tomorrow. How bout it, huh?" Her ears perked up a bit and her tail wagged. "Good. Because I have an old dog and a fuckload of misfits who I know will love you immensely. Not to mention that guy I mentioned happens to be the legendary, and very hot, if I do say so myself, Captain America."

          After Steve had opened all of his presents, or what he thought was all of his presents, Tony excused himself to go grab something, which wasn't a lie, and instructed Steve to keep his eyes shut. A few minutes later, he came back holding a small, wriggling puppy, trying it's hardest to lick Tony's face. You could hear Clint freaking out with joy somewhere in the back and Natasha mutter something to him in Russian. Tony, ignoring them, carefully set the puppy in Steve's arms and watched as he opened his eyes, clouded with confusion, then surprise, and finally uncontained joy. He wrapped the small pup in his arms and kissed her nose.

"Oh my God, Tony. This is. Is this one of the puppies?!" He said, smiling broadly. "What's her name?"

"Well. I didn't give her one. Officially. I thought you'd want the liberty. I was, however, thinking. Star-Spangled. Stupid, I know but with the date a-mmph." Steve silenced Tony with a kiss. "I love it. She's perfect, you're perfect, everything is perfect." He smiled at his shorter boyfriend and then at Star-Spangled, holding them both a little tighter.