Chapter 9 - Maddie

Chapter 9 – Maddie

I hid at the back of the library, in a quiet little corner surrounded by bookshelves. If I would have felt anything other than mortified and embarrassed, I would have noticed how cozy this little area was. Right now, all I saw was a refuge from the rest of the student body.

I didn't know where else to go. I hadn't made it five minutes at school before getting laughed at. Unable to resist contributing, I even humiliated myself further by tripping and falling. 

If there was a disappear button on my body, I would have pressed it.

The little nook in the library that I retreated to had a small table sat low to the floor and an old loveseat with tape across one of the cushions. I curled up in the loveseat and rocked back and forth. I tried to put my mind elsewhere, thinking about my upcoming Minecraft tournament. But that just made me sad because while the people I competed with accepted and supported me, it seemed like everyone here was only going to laugh at me.

I tried with every ounce of my being not to cry. If I ruined my makeup, I didn't have a way to fix it. I'd have to go through the day with streaks of eyeliner and mascara running down my cheeks. Or worse, I'd have to take it all off and look like a-

"Young lady, aren't you supposed to be in your first-period class?"

I looked up wide-eyed, unable to stop myself from trembling. The older woman staring at me softened and moved to sit beside me.

"What's the matter? You look frightened."

I looked down at the thin blue carpet underneath my feet.

"I... I'm just having a rough morning," I said.

"Are you by chance Maddie, our new student?"

My eyes shot to her face, searching it for answers. "How do you know who I am?" Did I just get clocked?

She smiled sweetly and pointed to the trans pride bracelet around my wrist. I relaxed a little.

"Some of the teachers this past week have been talking about a transgender student named Maddie. Word gets around fast. I know how that goes. I was telling my wife last night that I hoped I would run into you. I had a lot of respect for you before I even met you. You're a brave young woman for not hiding."

"You're... gay?" I asked and then blushed. Of all the things to say in that moment! To act like I'm some 'normal' person that's shocked that their school librarian is a lesbian.

She threw her head back and roared. "Among other things, yes, I'm gay. I'm also Margaret. You're meant to call me Mrs. Miller but if you do, I won't speak to you anymore." She winked and I felt some of the tension from my shoulders easing.

"I'm not going to ask you what happened this morning, it would probably break my old heart. Instead, I'm going to write you a little note that you can take to your first-period class so that you won't get in trouble. Are you okay to go there now?"

I studied the blue carpet for a moment, considering my options before looking at her and nodding. There was no sense sitting here and dragging this out. I didn't walk back into this building to run away at the first sign of bullying. That wasn't me and that's not who I was going to become. I could have just stayed home if that's what I was going to do.

"Thank you... Margaret. I appreciate it."

She smiled and then walked toward her desk. She scribbled the note down with a flourish and I thanked her as she handed it to me. Feeling a little bit lighter, I began the walk to the computer lab on the other side of the school.