Chapter 27 - Maddie

Chapter 27 - Maddie

I'm a blur dressed in solid black rocketing down the sidewalk on my skateboard, smiling wide; I'm seeing Kellan again.

Skillfully navigating around pedestrians, I stopped with a flourish before almost crashing into the door. Eh, all in a day's work. 

I kicked the board up, snatched it out of the air, and walked in.

Kellan was leaned against a beam closest to the front door, his smile matching mine. My insides became a furnace.

"Hey! I missed you," he said.

"I missed you too. I'm surprised I'm not a little tired though. Mr. Suspended kept me up until after midnight texting." I poked him in the ribs.

"Yeah, well, I'm getting to know you. And I want to know everything. Still reeling about that love for Metal Gear Solid. Didn't see that coming," he said. His eyes keep roving from head to toe. Guess he liked the yoga pants?

"Kojima is only like the greatest video game creator alive, soooo, yeah. You'll have to try Death Stranding soon," I said.

Kellan laughed. "I'll assume that's the guy who made the games and roll with it."

I flipped my hair back and noticed he was holding a cylinder in his hand. I buzzed thinking that it must be the drawing of him I requested.

"Is that my drawing?" I asked excitedly.

"Umm, yeah, in a way. It's kind of a surprise, actually. A pretty big one. Let's grab some drinks and get settled into a booth and I'll show you."

I threw my head back and groaned. "I can't wait that long! I need to know now!"

Kellan rubbed my back lightly as we moved toward the register. Being in public with Kellan felt natural, like this was always meant to be and we had both waited all our lives just for this.

"What are you getting?" he asked me as he scanned the menu.

"You mean what are we getting. I want to share a drink together, it'll be cute. And what we're getting is a pumpkin spice latte with almond milk. Special, off-the-menu, Maddie sized."

"Ooh, Pumpkin spice. That sounds good. Not that I seem to have much of a choice."

I flashed him a sassy smile and turned to see an amused Mark, obviously beside himself to see me with a date.

"Hey, Mark. You know someday I'm going to dye my hair pink. But I love my black hair so much that it's hard to want to change."

Mark twirled his pink locks. "Hon, that punk rock angst look you've got going on looks so good on you. Reminds me of when I was a teenager. I was the cutest little scene boy in Rock Canyon, you better believe it. And if you don't, I've kept the pictures! And HEY! You've got to let me be the only cutie with neon pink hair in Rock Canyon. Don't be encroaching on my style, girl!"

I smirked. "Eh, I'm going to dye it pink someday. We'll have to share the spotlight together. Hey, can we get a Maddie-sized pumpkin spice latte with almond milk? In a to-go cup, please, in case we want to walk before we're done."

"Sure can, sweetie, even though I know you'll have it finished before you sit down." He looked up at Kellan and arched his eyebrows. "And Kellan, I'm a man of my word. I've saved the special booth in the corner for my favorite young love birds."

I looked back and forth between them, my mouth agape. They both looked at me mischievously, before Kellan flashed his signature grin.

"I spent yesterday here working on my surprise for you. I told Mark our little saga and that we'd be here this afternoon for our first official date as boyfriend and girlfriend. And he suggested the corner booth."