24- I want to sleep on a cloud

"Ok so you never did tell me what happened at the party after we left!" Briar asked over the car speakers spewing 90's grunge.

"Not much really." Vani answered vaguely. She didn't feel like going into detail on the long drive down south.

Landry drove and his friend Marc worked the stereo.

The four of them would be sharing a hotel room in Daytona Beach for reading week also known as spring break.

Gma and Gpa had gifted the girls with the room and gift certificates for food and shows. When Vani had first told her family that she was going to miss the anual family vacation to join her friends they were all quiet. No one missed the spring get away.

Quickly, however, Gma realized that none of them had ever done spring break because they had all had the responsibilities of children by that age. So she decided that Vani needed to celebrate and deserved to enjoy the break with her friends.

Originally Briar and Landry had booked a bad room in a worse hotel in a terrible part of town.

Gma decided that if they were going to go then they should have fun and be in the middle of it all. She called in a favour or two and ended up getting a room with an ocean view with in walking distance to the most popular clubs, bars and restaurants.

"Something happened. It has been all over the place!" Briar held up her phone to indicate the number of posts that had been bouncing around hinting at some excitement at the party.

"Dude I was super drunk." Vani offered rather than an explanation.

"Yeah, we were all a little ... um.." Briar searched for the right term.

"Blitzed? Hammered? Buzzed? Gone? Done-zo?" Marc offered grinning back at them.

"Celebratory?" Briar grinned.

They all laughed.

"I don't want to think about school right now. I want to think about the next five days on the beach!" Vani tried to change the subject.

"This week is going to be tight son!" Marc said from the front seat making the girls laugh.

"What did you just say?" Vani laughed.

"What? This week is going to be awesome." He shrugged still grinning.

"Yeah, so tight." Briar said between gasps of laughter.

***

The hotel was way more upscale than any of them had expected.

Wealthy kids in fancy clothes paraded around the lobby taking selfies and looking pretentious.

"Wow. Your Gran is like the best, she hooked us up!" Marc said looking around with wide eyes and a broad grin.

"Gma." Briar and Vani said in unison.

"Yep." Marc said hoisting his back pack over his shoulder.

The group checked in at the front desk and were given keys to their room. They declined assistance from a bellhop and followed the directions of the concierge to their room.

The room was large and bright and clean. It had giant windows and two king beds with a sitting room, bedroom, kitchenette, and giant bathroom.

"Who are you?" Landry teased as he put his bag on one of the big beds.

"I told you! She is like old money's baby." Briar said emphatically.

"Well can I get adopted?" Landry asked looking around the beautiful room.