1

"I could still get you a job at the accounting firm, your dad can ask his friend to-"

"I said that I'm good, mom!"

"But you can't just let your degree go to waste! How else are you going to make money?"

You groaned,
"I already told you I've made some ads to be a nanny,"

She squinted at you,
"Don't you need training to do that?"

"I'm not sure, probably? But I'll be fine!"

She sighed,
"I still think you should work at the accounting firm,"

You relented, deciding it'd be better to compromise.

"I'll tell you what, I'll try out being a nanny, and if it doesn't go well, I'll get dad to ask his friend. Sound good?"

She thought it over for a second,
"Fine..."

She reached over and pinched your cheek,
"You know I just want the best for you, right?"

You took her hand off your cheek, holding it gently in yours,
"Yeah, I know,"

You wished you had taken your mother's advice at this moment, as the large man who employed you was very intimidating.

He guided you into his large house where his three children were nervously waiting, and briefly introduced you to them.

"You'll be taking care of these three. You can sleep in the guest room, they'll show you where it is,"

He turned towards the door,
"I have work to do. I expect everything to be in order when I get back, do not disappoint me,"

And with that, he left, and everyone let out a collective sigh.

'Goddamn he's scary'

You knelt down in front of the children, trying to be eye-level with them.

"So what are your names?"

The girl who seemed to be the oldest spoke up,
"Fuyumi, I'm twelve,"

The boy with white hair spoke next,
"Natsuo, eight!"

You turned your gaze to the youngest, a boy with two toned hair and a burn on one of his eyes. He didn't seem to be comfortable speaking with you though, instead hiding behind his older sister, who spoke for him.

"This is Shoto, he's five. He's been through some... things,"

You gave him the softest smile you could muster, wanting him to feel more at ease with your presence.

"I'm (f/n) (l/n), and I'll be taking care of you three for the foreseeable future, I hope we can get along,"

The girl smiled back at you, but her brothers seemed to not trust you as much.

"Would you mind showing me where the guest room is?"

The girl nodded, telling her brothers to wait for her while she guided you to where you'd be staying.

To be honest, when you got the job, you didn't think you'd be staying on site, but it kind of made sense, so you didn't argue. I mean, you get to live in a huge house for free!

But there was this uneasy tension which floated about the halls of the house, and almost suffocating feeling which steeped the whole building in its entirety.

When you got to your room, you set up your things, putting some of your figures on the empty shelves, putting your clothes in your new closet, and changing out the bedsheets for ones you had brought from your parents' house.