44

"Mom..."

The white haired woman slowly turned her head to the side, then looked down at her son as if he was a ghost.

"Shoto?"

The mother hesitantly reached her hand down towards her son's face.

Now let's see how we got here.

~•~

"I have a special task for you tomorrow,"
Endeavor spoke.

"What might that be, sir?"
You asked.

He turned towards the window,
"I've decided that the kids should see their mother. You will be the one to take them to her,"

Their mother?! The one that scarred little Shoto?!

"And where exactly is she...?"

"A psychiatric ward,"

DAMN

"I'll arrange for a driver to take you there,"

And that was that.

~•~

"Hey kids, could I talk with you for minute?

The children gathered around you as you told them the news. Their reactions were a mixed bag. On one hand, they were happy to know they'd be able to finally see the mother they'd been separated from, but on the other, they had no idea what her mental state would be like.

This was especially conflicting for little Shoto. His mom had permanently scarred him in more than one way, but at the same time she was the one who'd always comforted him when his father was harsh to him. Well at least before you came along.

There was also the fact that he was about six years old so he didn't really know quite how to properly express or interpret his emotions.

But in the end, he decided he wanted to see her. She was his mom after all.

So the five of you went to the psychiatric ward where Rei was staying, and made you way to her room.

You knocked on the door before opening it, seeing a woman with white hair sitting down at a table near her bed, staring out the window.

.It took a few moments before she acknowledged your presence.

"Who are you?"
She asked quietly.

Her eyes looked empty and devoid of emotion, yet full of sadness.

"I'm (y/n), your husband hired me to take care of your children,"
You explained.

She sneered at you when you mentioned Enji. She came here to avoid him, and now one of his lackeys was here to see her.

But then she saw it. Her youngest child peeking at her from behind your legs, grabbing onto your pants for dear life.

Slowly but surely, he managed to build up the courage to confront his mother.

"Mom..."

The white haired woman slowly turned her head down at her son, staring at him as if he was a ghost.

"Shoto?"

The mother hesitantly reached her hand down towards her son's face.

He winced as she did so, but soon found comfort in the way her hand cupped his cheek. He missed being with her.

Slow tears started dribbling out of her eyes, yet her facial expression didn't contort into sadness, simply staying still in its emptiness.

"Shoto... I'm so sorry,"

The little boy put his tiny hands on her,
"I-I know. You didn't mean it,"

Waves of guilt drowned the woman as she remembered what she'd done to her son when she was at her lowest, and she silently cursed her husband for the pain he'd put the family through.

Shoto found his way onto her lap, and Rei silently hugged him, comfortingly running her hand down his head and back, just like she used to.

It seemed the only good thing her husband managed to do was help create her children.

Natsuo and Fuyumi, who were waiting outside the room, figured it would be a good time for them to see their mother too, seeing that Shoto had helped acclimate her a little bit towards interacting with others.

"We missed you mom!"
Natsuo spoke, hugging her tightly.

Fuyumi didn't say anything, not wanting to risk crying.

The four of them hugged for who knows long, enjoying the comfort of family they hadn't felt in what seemed like forever. But still, someone was missing.

You walked outside the room to see Touya staring longingly at the rest of his family.

"What's wrong buddy?"
You cringed as you said that. He was fifteen years old, you really didn't need to call him buddy.

"I... I want to see mom, but I don't know if she'd want to se me,"

You quirked a brow,
"What do you mean by that? She's your mother, of course she'd want to know her dead son is alive!"

He shook his head,
"I was horrible to her back then. I said some bad things to her, and never got to apologize. What if she believed what I said? What if she thinks I hate her?"

You put your hands on his shoulders, staring into his eyes,
"Listen to me Touya. From what I know, before the incident, Rei was a good mother. And a good mother would forgive her son for an outburst like that. She doesn't seem like the type to not love you for something like that,"

He took a deep breath, knowing you were right. And then he walked into the room to see his mother.

She didn't believe her eyes. She'd heard whispers concerning her son before, but she always just considered it idle chatter. She wouldn't have heard it on the news either, she stopped watching it in case her husband might appear on it.

"Touya, you're-!"

She got off the chair and rushed to her son, holding his face in her hands as she cried. This time, her face showed emotion. It was a mix of sadness and happiness, with either emotion fighting for dominance.

"I missed you, mom,"
He said before hugging her tightly.

She hugged him back, letting out years worth of tears.

She began thinking to herself. Maybe she'd spent enough time in here. She had four children waiting for her after all.

Though you weren't so sure what this would mean for your place in the Todoroki family, all that mattered was that they were reunited. A mother and her children.

________________________

This book is ending in a chapter or two I'm warning y'all in advance