Chapter 22: Are you jealous

Wyatt
After all that with Katie, (you know seeing her
'personal' stuff) I was so embarrassed. I didn't seem to bother Katie, so I let it go.

When she found the meal bars she pulled out this ball cap and set it on the dashboard.

I point to it and ask, "Is this yours?"

She glances at me. "No, it belongs to a friend of mine, he left it in here last weekend. I have to give it back to him."

He?

"So, it's Tyler's?" I ask, but it comes out more of a statement.

She smiles very slightly. "No, it's my friend Jacobs's hat."

"Oh." Is all I say.

Jacob? Who the hell is Jacob?

I had no right to be, but I'm a little jealous.
I tried not to show it; knowing she would think it was funny.

"Does Jacob go to our school?" I ask trying to find out who he is without her knowing I'm jealous.

I can tell she's fighting a smile. She knows.
Yep, she definitely knows.

"No, he's taking college classes at the college my dad teaches at." She says normally, but I can tell she's fighting to keep from teasing me about it.

She is going to make me ask.

"Did y'all ever date or go out?"

She giggles. "Just Wyatt, are you jealous?"

I look out the window not wanting to see her smiling. "No."

"You are!" She yells laughing.

"To make you feel better Jacob is just a friend.
Last weekend he came with me and Izzy when we took our horse on a trail ride."

She looks at me with those big green eyes.
"Izzy and I have known him forever. He lets us use his trailer as long as he comes with us."

"Does he ride horses?" I ask. She makes a face like the answer was obvious.

"Yes, he rides. He brought his horse and I used my truck to pull the trailer."

I just nod my head.

She sighs very dramatically. "You know Kent, I did choose you to fake date, right?"

"The quarterback, the most popular guy at school."

I glance over at her to see her petting Logan's head. "Just Wyatt, you have nothing to worry about."

I don't know why I got jealous about it.
Just thinking about her hanging out with another guy didn't sit right with me for some reason.

"I wasn't worrying," I say smugly. She got to tease me so now it's my turn to tease her.

"I'm the star quarterback remember, the most popular guy at school. The guy every girl dreams about dating."

She scoffs. "Im going to regret saying that aren't I?"

I laugh. "Your words, not mine."

About ten minutes later we pull up to a big barn. Katie turns the truck off and hands me a coat that was sitting on her lap. "It's kind of chilly you might want this."

It's a man's coat. I stare at it like it was covered in a deadly disease. "Um?"

"Kent, it's Tyler's." Katie snaps.

I grab it and put it on.

We both hop out of the truck and she grabs my arm. "You ready to be turned into a cowboy?"