Part 16: Memory

Freen's P.O.V

"Freen, Can I borrow your toy?" I looked at Kirk and raised my eyebrow.

"No," I said, and I saw how his face turned sad.

"Please?" he pouted.

"Fine." I handed him my toy gun, and he smiled widely.

We were at the playground near our village because Kirk wanted to play with me. It's Saturday, and I thought it was a wonderful day to breathe some fresh air.

It has been one year since Dad left us, and somehow, I already accepted the fact that he was not coming back.

"Freen, look. Tee and Jim are here." I looked in the direction that he was pointing, and I saw Jim and Tee running towards us.

Jim was holding a Barbie doll, while Tee was holding a robot.

"Hi Freen. Hi Kirk." They greeted us in unison.

I gave them a short glance and diverted my attention to a group of boys meters away from us.

"Look at her. She doesn't have a dad. What a pity." And then they started laughing like crazy.

I was curious, so I walked towards them, leaving Kirk, Jim, and Tee. They were busy arguing, so I left them.

They were forming a circle, and in the center, I saw a little girl hugging her knees. She was crying.

Some strands of her hair were all over her face, and she was sniffing while wiping her tears.

"Move back, or I will punch each one of you." I glared at them.

They just looked at each other and started laughing again. One of them walked towards me and looked at me intently. "Are you joking? You're so thin. Go home and eat some fruits and vegetables first."

Oh, was he trying to test me? I balled my fist, and I was more than ready to punch his ugly face.

I smirked. "Try me." His face turned red, and he lifted his fist to punch me.

I moved a little to avoid his punch. He was so surprised when I did that.

"My turn." Without hesitation, I punched him as hard as I could. He fell to the ground while holding his nose.

I lifted my gaze and looked at his friends. Their jaws dropped, and they started running away. Cowards.

When they were gone, I walked toward the little girl and started wiping away her tears.

She lifted her face, and I saw how beautiful she was. She has a cute nose, and her eyes were bloody red, probably from crying.

I knelt in front of her. "Hey, are you okay?"

She just nodded her head and hugged his Barbie doll.

"Why are you alone?"

"My brother left me to buy some food."

I nodded my head and sat down next to her.

I didn't know, but somehow I have this urge to stay beside her. I was worried that those crazy boys would go back and make fun of her again.

"Rebecca!" A boy who looked like her was running towards us while holding an ice cream in both hands.

So her name is Rebecca? Beautiful.