Chapter 33: The corrosive miasma slime's true form

Be tougher than the problem itself

-Author

================================================================================

Deep within the adventurers' guild library exists a set of books where contents are purely information about monsters.

[Hmmm??? Corrosive slime? Hey old man, have you faced that kind before?] (??) Sitting at one of the chairs, reading the said book is a young promising adventurer.

[Corrosive Slime you say? I've heard of it, but I haven't faced it since I am not a regular at Veriton Dungeon. They say that it is black, some say that it is blue, but what I truly know is that it is red in its true form] (??) Scratching his long white beard, the old magician peeked at the book the young adventurer was reading.

Titled "Monster Encyclopedia Vol 2: BOSS MONSTERS", the book with a red dyed leather cover has started to wear down as its pages showed signs of age. On the specific page flicked by the youth, the information about a certain slime was shown there.

Blueish-black in normal colour, the corrosive slime is a boss-levelled monster that can only be found in the specific dungeon named Veriton, a dungeon that appeared 50 years ago in the eastern forest near Miruzo. A type of special individual among the slime category wherein it has this nature of being toxic and corrosive, melting both armour and flesh with its acidic bolts and its arcane explosion, thus earning the title of Newbie Slayer due to being found in the 5th floor of the dungeon.

It's said that you could skip fighting this boss by finding the hidden path that could be found in the very room it is in, the only problem is that you need to have a mentor to show this around otherwise no one will be bound to find it.

No one has seen what will happen when it gets hurt nor when it enters phase 3............but a certain someone will

...

...

...

What the hell is this? The slime has finally entered its 2nd phase, and its colour changed greatly. From bluish-black to bright orange-red, the slime is exuding a toxic air around it that seems to make the nearby ground bubble up.

{EMERGENCY QUEST HAS BEEN GIVEN!}

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUEST: ELIMINATE TOXIC SLIME (TRUE FORM) LV 10
TIME LIMIT: NONE
PENALTY: DEATH
REWARD: ???

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Suddenly the notification blared up with an emergency quest, popping out a screen that showed me its contents.

The penalty for failing is death............... Holy shit.

God, this wasn't even close to fighting the hydra, this is an entire battle different from that. The hairs on my skin are standing as if spooked, my back is tingling with this strange sensation, and my face is sweating buckets.

No shit, this is getting tense as I felt that my death is now inevitable.

I've never felt this intimidated before, I wonder why. Despite the feeling of fear that is welling in me, the sides of my mouth are making me smile.

[*BLUB BLUB* *PUMP!*] (??) As if answering my strengthened resolve, the slime began to attack in gusto.

[Spread out!]

[Roger that] (Ronin) I immediately ordered Ronin to split from my position as the slime has now strengthened condition, the acidic bolt it fired did not just melt the ground, but now it made a pool of acid in it. This made our situation a bit more difficult as the terrain is now difficult to move around.