Chapter 21: Cause of her suffering

Night came, and the atmosphere at the inn returned as usual. The door at my room got replaced along with the broken window. The good thing was that Sir Matthew prepared spares just in case, which were put to good use right now. HOWEVER! I was not met with a fist in the gut, phew, thank goodness.

[So she's still in your room?] (Irene) Eating at the opposite side of the table in this dinner is Madame Witch, Irene.

[Yeah, she seems to have some sort of trauma. As if she wouldn't] I am having dinner at a separate table, specifically at the inn's diner, and not at the kitchen with them. Miss Marie was fine with it because Madame Witch had something to tell me.

[Well that is true, with her sudden release from slavery, it would be an analogy akin to something like 2 bags of sand being hanged between a pulley. When the rope is cut, both would fall. With one being her freedom, and the other her trauma. You may have released her from the physical suffering, yet her mental stability is close to a collapse, rather.....it has collapsed already] (Irene) I can't taste the dinner which was ox steak with white sauce, I just can't with the thoughts lingering in my head.

There is a heavy feeling in my heart and the discovery of her existence made this feeling. Why am I conflicted?

[You should stop right now, this isn't your problem foreigner, but ours] (Irene) 

[But....] She's right. 

Why should I trouble myself when I shouldn't be troubled at all? 

That is what I should think, but no, I can't. My existence is already also related.

[Fufuu, judging by your face you have your own answer] (Irene) This bitch....

She's testing me again....my god, this witch is really getting on my nerves. Also, the incident has been reported to the guild. I was reprimanded heavily by the receptionist Lorna earlier, but it was then called off because Madame Witch said she made me go and look for the fairy. 

I owe her one..........a few silvers vanished from my wallet again. Ox steak is expensive, take note of that Jack. This is a dinner menu I will only eat once in a while.

================================================================================

???'s POV

She had a dream.

[Haaaah.....haaaah......haaaaaaah] Her tiny wings flutter quickly as she makes her way into the forest of myriad flames.

"I need to warn them!"

Her thoughts jumbled up as she began to worry about her family. A few kilometers from here, a group of bandits entered the forest. 

The scenery then soon changed when she saw that her home was being burned.

[Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!] The trees in her homeland erupted in the landscape as fire devoured every single greenery she could see. 

Her folks panicked as they scattered in search of refuge and to escape, but only to end up either dead or enslaved.

[Run L**hea! Don't turn and don't look back!!!!!!] (??) His figure blurs as he went to stop their attackers.

[Papa? Papa!!!! Noooooooooo!!!!!] She tried reaching for his figure, only to get caught by one of those slavers.

For one month, she suffered a lot. From abuses, to maltreatment...from the humans she thought were once good people, but the opposite.

================================================================================

[Ha! Haaaaah....haaaaah......haaaaaah] (??)  Her eyes immediately shot open as she sat uprightly, clutching her chest which was beating loudly. She noticed it then, her eyes were dripping with tears.

The tired look in her eyes was still present despite the long hours of sleep she had obtained, and her stomach grumbled as a sign of hunger. The tears in her swollen eyes were quite dry, indicating she's been crying the whole time in her sleep. 

The sun is already out in the open as wind gently blows a breeze, penetrating the gap in the windows as the curtain flutters. The muffled chirping of birds soon reached her ears, completely waking her up.

[Huh?] (??) In front of her however, at the bed is a basket.

"PLEASE EAT, I WILL LEAVE THIS HERE FOR YOU" 

A note was clipped at the basket's lid, and the handwritten letters were quite beautiful. The aroma of the food that was put inside was reaching her nose, making her stomach grumble further.

[Au............] (??) With no choice left in her hand, she decided to eat to her fill the meal that was given to her

...

...

...

[It's here again] (??) I am still wondering what is her name. 

The next day, as I did the same thing. Right as she started eating the food happily, I am still taking a peek at her situation 

[Hm...] Observing at the gap in the door is none other than me. Ehem. I am aware of privacy but I just had to take a peek to ensure that nothing bad is happening to her. I am no stalker, but I just wanted to make sure.

[Is miss fairy eating?] (Tanya) Along with me taking a peek at the eating fairy is none other than Tanya, the little miss of the inn.

[Yeah, so let's not bother her okay?] 

[Umu] (Tanya) Her smile made me realize that perhaps there is still hope in the world. Haaaaah, I hope I was this optimistic in my childhood days. I can't help but give her complimentary head pats....yes....

Let's see, I should leave the fairy for a while now. I need to go to the adventurer's guild today to take another quest. As an F-rank adventurer, one must take quests [even if it has to be meager ones] at least once a day. It's tiring, but it has to be that way since we can earn money in that way. 

I also took the room next door, so right now the fairy was the one that replaced me in the original room I was using. Both the inn mistress and master were fine with that, as long as I work my part until noon.

Noon arrived and the guests come and go, the smell of the diner reached my nose as I stood in the reception desk. 

[Hngggggggggggggggg!!!!!!] My back, ow. I overstretched. 

The log book got an addition of 5 guests, and the diner was full of hungry clients. All is well as I can observe, and no trouble ensued. Thank goodness.

[So Jack, care to explain the metallic behemoth outside?] (Matthew) I suddenly felt a menacing aura behind me, only to see the shadow of a hurly burly man named Matthew.

"YOU ENCOUNTERED A WILD MATTHEW!"

Crap!

"YOU TRIED TO FLEE"

[Hohohoh, where are you going? You haven't explained it to me yet] (Matthew) 

"WILD MATTHEW USED (STRONG GRIP) !"

"IT SUCCEEDED, YOU ARE NOW UNABLE TO ESCAPE!"

[Erm..................] Right, I had Ronin to stay at the inn's front. Thus, it seems that the popularity of the inn seems to have increased. 

With Ronin's presence in the area, the entire neighborhood has become a bit more secured. Together with Madame Witch's influence, as well as my mock battle with Rynia the other day, Ronin's presence in the city has become somewhat solid. With these, those piece of shits won't act that frequently when something that massive is guarding the city.

"But do me a favor of patrolling the city okay?" (Irene)

"Yes?"

Of course, it has to be that way......

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

**************************

AN

Tis is a short chapter because...why not? 

-Procrastinating Author