Chapter 13

Song: Farewell Life by Nights Amore and Arn Andersson

The hum from the Extracorporeal machine was resonating throughout the room. It sounded ten times louder than normal to Itachi. In addition to himself, there were three doctors, Kakashi and Karin standing around Shisui's bed, making the room seemingly smaller with all of the extra bodies.

Earlier on the walk to Shisui's room, Kakashi had informed Itachi that the medical team was wanting to discuss the man's contingency plan since it had been 23 days since they had switched him from a ventilator to the ECMO life support. Being one of the health care agents representing his best friend, Kakashi had to help them make a decision in behalf of Shisui .

The atmosphere felt stifling and the temperature warm, unless it was the raven's blood pressure rising and getting the best of him. He had an inclination that this spontaneous visit was going to be ugly and drawn out. An uneasy feeling was brewing in his bones of the pending doom that was about to unfold and that Karin's visit wasn't in the best interest of Shisui.  Everyone who knew her was aware of the woman's capabilities of insensitivity and pretentiousness.

SHE was his wife whom he finally presented with divorce papers two months ago. Karin hadn't cared to keep her infidelities a secret and regardless of his undeniable love for her, she played with his kindness and gracious heart,  making it evident that she was using him for money.  When Shisui had finally had enough, she tried convincing him that she'd change.  Regrettably, the accident had happened before everything was settled in court, leaving her as his next of kin; ergo explaining her presence.

There was an awkwardness and the doctors seemed uneasy being in amongst the presence of the patriarch and the ginger.  Hatake Kakashi was a powerhouse not only amidst the corporate world but also in the Uchiha clan.  He stood on the same level and as of intimidating as Fugaku and very rarely would the two show signs of discord whenever it came to business. The silver haired man could be a gentle giant but cross him, he possessed the capability of ruining a person with his intellectual knowledge in law and trade negotiations.  He was conscious to keep his family and private life low key for their protection due to the ranking he held; thus explaining why the raven brothers didn't know much about Naruto and his husband.

Ignoring the glare from the red-head, Itachi focused his attention on the apparatus that was aiding Shisui to breathe.  He knew that she was baiting him into a feud but he refused to bite, remaining silent from voicing his repugnance towards her. He knew in fairness that this was a battle to be fought by his mentor.

Looking pointedly at the scarlet and pushing the dark frames up more comfortably on his nose while narrowing his eyes, "Why are you here Karin?"  Kakashi asked again in a commanding tone; anyone knowing him well enough knew that the patriarch was none other than demanding for an answer.

Determined to stand ground with the elder, aware that if she faulted at all she would be overtaken in a 'midnight moment'.  "Foolish question don't you think Kakashi?" She murmured, her eyes giving him a menacingly look as if daring to challenge her. "My husband was in a accident."  Her voice laced in sarcasm and fake empathy as she stroked Shisui's arm and ran her fingers through his hair.

"A month ago."  Itachi scowled eyeing her straight in the face, feeling adrenaline from anger rush through his veins.  Her smugness was making his blood boil.  If he could, he'd reach over and slap her so hard that she would end up in another oblivion.

Turning her attention towards the onyx holder peering at her, "I was traveling abroad.  By the time I was informed, I got here as soon as I could."  The ginger was hoping to convince the men staring at her but both Itachi and Kakashi having known her for as long as they have could see right through her shady self. As far as they were concerned she was malevolent, evil and conniving.