Chapter 24

Each one of them knew what it was like because every single one of them had been a victim at least once in their lifetime.

The three males sat quietly in the patriarch's drawing room where a mellow, earthy scent delightfully lingered in the room without overwhelming the space. Fugaku preferred the high-quality smokeless organic incense intermingled with gentle notes of hinoki, cedarwood, and frankincense because of the calm and serenity it induced.  And at the moment they were in desperate need of some serious serendipity.

Fugaku sat at his desk working on a few transcripts that he had brought home from the office.  Albeit the distraction he was still aware of his youngest son's askew demeanor as he drank at the half filled glass of scotch.  He felt bad having to submit him to the task that he knew belonged in the dictionary under the definition for torture.  But he had no choice.

A hushed silence engulfed the room as the two heirs stared into their glass of liquor. 

There were moments when Sasuke questioned their father's love, pushing his heirs to the bridge of success but he never thought of his father being ruthless.  That is until now.

"And why me again?"  Sasuke asked as he still was processing the mission his father had just assigned him.  Most people would think it a simple request perhaps sadistic enjoyment but every Uchiha knew it was more than that.  This quest would be the notion of survival. 

"I feel better with you as the escort."

"Why can't Arata go with them?"  Sasuke asked in exasperation, trying desperately to find a replacement.

"It's his birthday."  Itachi said feeling bad for his baby brother but not enough to go in his place.  For once he was actually relieved it was the time of year for the preliminary meetings, demanding his presence as CEO.

"How about Yoshi?"  The young raven suggested.

"He would never survive."  Fugaku briefly glanced at his son before turning his attention back the economic graphs while recalling how the butler was traumatized.  "You know this."

Yes, he indeed knew it.  He remembered that his father felt sorry for the man giving him a raise and a two weeks paid vacation to the islands.

"Sasuke, you'll be okay."  Itachi said trying to sound encouraging yet wondering to himself if he really would be.  It was a dangerous place.  A place they avoided at all cost. To venture there voluntarily was like an audacious act of suicide for the Uchiha men, yet here his father was sending his ototo straight into the lion's den to be swallowed alive and yet he felt relieved that it wasn't him.

"Father, is there no other way?"  Sasuke asked nursing a second glass of scotch. 

Not much unnerved the Uchiha men but this was at top of their list and Fugaku knew it all too well.

"It is mother after all."  Sasuke's voice wavered as he looked up from his drink meeting his father's eyes. 

Fugaku sighed heavily and leaned back into the oversized leather chair.  He rubbed his temples before sighing again.  "I know son, I'm sorry but there's no other option."  He explained his tone consoling, fully aware of what his son was about to embark upon. 

Ginzais

The most exclusive shopping district in Japan having over 224,000 square meters housing 700 shops.  The name alone echoed painful in the young raven's mind but what made visiting the huge complex worse was he would be accompanying their mother.

Yes, the matriarch not only loves her shopping but took it seriously spending weeks to precisely plan the trip.  What was making this a nightmare for Sasuke was that  she had the greatest rationale to spend the entire day, from the hour the doors open until they closed...