Chapter 14

Song:  Carry You by Ruelle

The tingling from the numbness in his limbs
evoked him awake. He tried forcing his eyes open only to feel dizzy and having to close them.

Giving himself a few minutes to allow the fog to dissipate from his mind, Itachi endeavored to recall what had happened despite the lingering haze.

Opening his eyes again, he focused on the white ceiling and the quietness of the room trying to evade the headache starting behind the frontal region of his skull. Sensing it was nighttime because the moon's light was shining across the room he glanced over at the clock on the wall where the bold numbers confirming his speculation read:  2:17 a.m.

Feeling pressure resting on his lap, Itachi cautiously moved his head not wanting to worsen his headache to look at what was hindering his movements. Shocked at seeing a messy mop of black hair, his little brother was bent forward in a chair by the bed and had his head resting on top of the blankets that were draped across his lap. He willed his arm to shift so that he could lightly thread his fingers through the strands not wanting to startle him unduly. The fact that his otōto was here sleeping in such a twisted position meant that whatever incident occurred had really scared him.

Sasuke had finally fallen asleep after battling a throbbing headache. He had never dealt with a medical crisis on his own and the sheer trepidation he felt was encompassing his entire body.

(Flashback)

Sasuke was at the Uchiha manor, meeting with contractors who were finishing the modifications they were doing to the home in preparation for Itachi's return.  Yumi had recommended adding several support fixtures to the living accommodations. The manor having an open layout making things easier with only a isolated focus to Itachi's master bathroom and installing a trapeze hoist bar above his bed.  He had was going over the final format when Kakashi had called.

The turmoil that went through him as Kakashi explained that the doctors were running tests to determine whether he had suffered a heart attack, caused him to mentally spiral at yet another possibility of losing his brother.

(End of Flashback)

Sasuke woke up to the tousling motion through his hair. His mind comprehending the familiar ministrations from his childhood after having a bad dream and afraid to fall back asleep, he would find himself in front of Itachi's bedroom door with his stuffed koala bear in tow. His onii-san would stroke his hair while telling him a funny story or reciting one of his favorite nursery rhymes until he fell into peaceful dreams.

He quickly sprung up to find a pair of somnolent eyes staring at him. "Oh gods, you're finally awake!" Distress cracking in the younger Uchiha's voice as he stood to stand beside the bed.

Itachi could see the fright lucid in his baby brother's face, making him feel agitated as to what exactly happened. As much as his scantily strength allowed, he tugged on Sasuke's arm beckoning him forward, gathering him into a hug. "Sorry I frightened you." He whispered.

"How are you feeling?" Sasuke asked, pulling out of the hug.

"Groggy and a little dizzy. My body feels heavy." The older said closing his eyes, his voice barely audible and drowned in weariness.

"They gave you a sedative because you had a panic attack."

The words slowly processing in Itachi's mind, jostled his memory. Feeling his body fill with alarm as realization hit him; Shisui. He opened his eyes and tried sitting up but hands were already pressing his shoulders back into the pillows.