Chapter 30

Today would be his last visit to the orphanage until after the babies were born and old enough to be around people. So Itachi was wanting to make their visit extra special with treating the kids to whatever takeout they wanted. The majority would usually consent to ordering pizza but there were a few wanting to be adventurous and expand their pallets daring themselves to try something new. As for Naruto he just hoped that they wouldn't have to wait to long to eat dinner. Recently he'd been feeling like he could easily eat every hour throughout the day.

He cautiously slid out of the SUV having to pause and stand while holding onto the car's handle for balance. His belly felt significantly heavier since one of the babies had turned to the head down position or the cephalic presentation which is the technical term the doctor used.  When letting go of the door, he slipped a hand underneath his belly and the other one to his back. It wasn't only bigger but it looked different and hung lower which was putting a tremendous strain on his back.

"You ready?" Itachi asked standing beside him, his hand full of gift bags.

"Yeah."  He breathed shallowly, proceeding to take hold of the paler's arm for support but keeping a hand to his back which helped him straighten up a little. The twin pressing against his sciatica was making it painful to walk now.  He/She had picked that spot to hold up while the other was against his hips particularly favoring the right side so he was trying his best to do as little moving as possible.  Itachi fell into pace at his side.  Their stride seemingly sloth-like because of having to adapt to the blonde's widened gait. 

"As much as I love our children, there are things I definitely won't miss about being pregnant." Naruto complained clutching the porch's railing and pulling himself up the steps while supporting the underside of his tummy. He hadn't had to climb stairs for awhile since they had moved to the lower level of the house, even to go to the nursery he had only gone up twice since.  Thus, it had become a grueling maneuver with the ballooned uterus, a stark reminder that it was the best decision they had made. 

By the time they reached the visitors area, he was sore, out of breath and having to pee... again.  After a moment and was able to fall into the natural rhythm of breathing he headed off to the bathroom while Itachi waited patiently by the main desk where the caregivers worked.  Mya had retired and it just wasn't the same for Naruto not being able to see her.  Soon two of the aides came over to him and took the gifts, except the one he had for Cho.

"Where is everyone?" Naruto asked looking around. Normally there would be some of the children eager to greet them.

"In the auditorium. A group is performing a puppet show today." Takako bowed respectfully. "You're welcome to join them. It's about to start." She was one of the employees in charge of scheduling entertainment and field trips for the orphans. Itachi had made that one of the prime specification's of the funding.  He wanted it to be used towards outings for them to see plays, museums and symphonies.  Even trips to the zoo and other extra curriculum activities.  He wanted the kids to have a fun childhood.

"You better believe it! I love a good puppet show!" The blonde said enthusiastically with a coltish grin whilst moving down the cordial towards the auditorium as best as his body could move.

"I thought you were hungry?" Itachi asked.

Patting the small tote hanging off of his shoulder, "No worries, I brought a couple of granola bars and a bottle of water.  Enough to hold me over." He was about to pull on Itachi for some help with walking the long hallway when a tiny voice called out to them.

A little girl with porcelain skin and jet black hair broke free from the aide holding her hand and came rushing down the hall. She had on a long lilac dress, a lace bow in her hair to match and a pair of white soft flat shoes. It was one of the outfits they had bought her.  Even though she is 3 years old she was small for her age.  In fact whenever Naruto shopped for her clothes depending on the style he would sometimes have to purchase a size two.