Chapter 33

The Light by CHPTRS

Dr. Schultz and Itachi stared wide eyed as the stretched skin took on an alien shape form. Naruto yelped as the pain shot underneath his ribs the baby kicking away without a care.

"I'm surprised they're still this active with you being this far along." She expressed in wonder. He would be 39 weeks tomorrow.

"I basically can't move anymore." He breathes out with a grimace his hands gripping the sheet. "They have a major fit when I move around a lot."  He complained through clenched teeth when he attempted to sit up. She had just did an exam and it was the most uncomfortable one he's had so far because they were laying smack against his pelvic bone. Itachi carefully helped him sit up.

"Even though your uterus has dropped and they're both in position there's still no signs of effacement. I am worried that with them being so low that if you go into labor we might not have time to do a cesarean."

Itachi looked at Naruto but didn't say anything. He didn't have to because his expression said it all.

"Okay I'll admit that's a little distressing." The blonde commented, speaking for both of them as he pulled his shirt down. He was still traumatized from the birth videos he didn't want to deliver naturally.

"Truthfully, it's their size.  It's apparent that you've had a significant growth spurt, so my worry is that birthing them is going to put a major strain on your body.  Your pelvis is small and I do fear that you will tear." She sighed deeply, "Growth spurts should be near to nil at this gestational point but it seems that your babies feel differently." She gave a chuckle.

Naruto rolled his eyes, "It's the Uchiha DNA." He spat narrowing his eyes at his lover.

"It also can be another distinct contrast with male pregnancy. You're not the first one that has had a major growth spurt happen so close to giving birth." She chuckled.

Naruto reached out his hands needing Itachi to help pull him adjust into a more comfortable position. It took some time to get situated onto the stack of pillows considering that every movement hurt especially in his back and hips. Naruto dug the palms of his hands into his hips while Itachi lovingly massaged the muscles in his lower back where most of the pain resides.

"So what do you suggest?"  Was the raven's inquiry as he looked her dead on.

"Well... we could go ahead and take them. They're far enough along and there happens to be an opening first thing in the morning. You have enough time to be fasting."

Naruto stiffened before his gaze caught Itachi's.

"If we deliver them tomorrow they will be fine even if they have to be in the NICU for a little bit."

He shook his head. He had heard enough stories from Ino to know that every day your baby can remain inside the uterus is beneficial so in spite of the misery he was experiencing of late, he was determined to to make it as close to 40 weeks as possible.

"Naru, I think we should ..."

"Are they in any danger or experiencing any distress?" He interrupted the raven knowing what he was about to say.

Dr. Shultz looked between them aware of the emotional exchange going on which was very common for couples to struggle with this type of decision more of the uncertainty weighing upon them.

"No, they're actually doing really well." She had to admit.

"Do you foresee things changing in the next two weeks?" Naruto asked making sure to cover all the basis.

"I mean anything can happen but for now I don't. You haven't lost your mucus plug and they're on track for a full term pregnancy." She said seeing relief wash over their faces. "BUT..." she emphasized. "If this is the avenue you want to go I recommend that you spend the remainder time in the hospital so that you're on site and can be monitored 24/7."